Chapter 30

"Honestly, was the extra whack really necessary?" I groaned, tenderly massaging the second knot on my head. "Yes," Piers said, a little smile edging its way onto his face. "I had to make sure you didn't make a run for it."

"I think you just did it because you wanted to."
"That too."
"You're a lunatic."
"And you're an assailant."
"That's nice coming from the guy who knocked me out twice with a microphone stand."

"Can you guys stop flirtin'?" Marnie groaned from her limp position lying down on the stage. We were back in the stadium, me still in the cage. Only this time, Meowsie and the others were with me, and I now had the Gym Leader and Team Yell watching me constantly. "It's gross, an' I'm pretty sure my bro's older than you by, like, six or seven years."

"Four," I corrected her. "He turned 22 last November on the 17th, and he'll be 23 in exactly five months and eighteen days."
"And she calls me creepy," Piers murmured.
"And if us arguing is your idea of flirting, I pray I'll never see your idea of war."

"Wait, if Piers is four years older than you, then that makes you eighteen!" Marnie gasped.
"Wow, congratulations, you can do math," Meowsie mumbled, voice dripping with sarcasm.
"You're eighteen, which means you're an adult."

"I've known more at the age of ten than most college professors learn in their lives. Anyone could have called me an adult when I was twelve," I said proudly.
"No, I mean legally, you're an adult. That means you can help us wi--mph!"

Piers slapped a hand over her mouth before she could continue. "She's the last person we wanna accept help from," he said, shooting a glare in my direction. "Now, I've heard lots 'bout this woman from Rose's naggin'. She's an international thief, an' works for some gang intent on rulin' the world; Team Spaceship, or somethin'. Officer Jenny'll pay a fortune for her if we turn her in-"

"Her dad's loaded," Meowsie murmured.
"Meowsie!" I hissed.
"It's true," She said, raising her voice. "Whatever Jen's offering, we can pay you double if you let us go."
"How stupid do you think I am?" Piers asked, surprisingly unaffected by Meowsie's ability to talk.

"Very. Father will never buy into an enemy organization willing to let me go for some money," I glared at Meowsie. "He'll be expecting some catch. And if he does give into the ransom, he'll see weakness. And my father shows no tolerance for impotence."

I wasn't just referring to Galar when I said my father showed no mercy. He showed it to anything that was weak. If something or someone couldn't do what he needed, he would replace it without batting an eye. Operatives. Pokemon. Even his own daughter.

If I had to beg my father for money for a ransom from someone that Team Rocket didn't recognize as an equal, let alone another syndicate, he would never be able to look at me the same way again. I could never let him down like that. His rage would be merciless.

"Wait, is your dad really rich?" Marnie asked, who had wriggled her way out of her older brother's grasp. "If you must know, yes," I groaned. "My father is exceedingly opulent. He also runs a very large, successful business that operates from all four corners of the Earth. It didn't happen overnight, if that's what you're inquiring."

"So, you're a rich, snobby kid?" A Team Yell grunt asked.
"Wealthy, yes. Snobby, I beg to differ."
"Oh, so you think you're so prim and proper 'cause you use fancy words," another drawled.
"I never said that-"

"Oh, I'm going to the ball tonight in my fluffy dress," one mimicked me.
"How was the tea party last week?" Another snickered, and the rest collapsed into a pile of laughs.

Slowly, I stood, and grabbed a thick, metal pipe that was lying on the ground. It was three feet long, a bit rusted, but two inches of completely solid aluminum. With a horrible shriek of metal, I bent it over my knee in a parabola shape. Instantly, the laughter ceased. "You don't usually learn this at tea parties," I deadpanned, tossing it away with a clatter. Everyone's eyes had turned to me, and they looked scared. Good.

"Of course, that's just the tip of the iceberg. I've beaten the strongest of trainers in battles. I'm tougher than a Duraludon but graceful as a Frosmoth. I've stolen from hundreds of people, and you won't be the last. Once I get out of here, nothing will soothe my father's rage. His operatives, including myself, will reduce this town to nothing but dust particles, and I will relish every second of it."

"Shut yer gob," Piers growled, and I reluctantly complied. I didn't feel like gambling for a third concussion. "That's enough out of you lot. C'mon, Marn." Looking back at me briefly, Marnie followed her brother out of the stadium, and another Team Yell member took up position next to my cage.

I spent the next few hours pretending to sleep, contemplating what I should do, and how I could possibly make up a potential ransom for my release. No amount of Wishing Stars could possibly smooth over the fact I had been captured and had my real face revealed. Toxie cooed and curled up in my lap, looking up at me with sad eyes.

Salazzle was examining our cell, until she saw a dirty rag and ran back towards me. Meowsie was kicking a pebble around, Shelgon and Espeon were asleep in a corner, until my guitar floated over and bumped the back of my head. "I hate it when Espeon dreams," Meowsie grunted as it bopped her on the nose.

I just slumped over and drew my legs tight against my chest. I wanted to scream and rip my hair out and bawl my eyes out until I couldn't breathe. Somehow, someway, I had been outfoxed. Outplanned. Someone was better than me, and I could barely cope with the thought.

I'd been born with a silver spoon in my mouth and been raised on a pedestal since I was a young girl. I had received the best education in the world. I knew more about Pokemon than most professors. I had pushed my physical and mental abilities to the very limits of the human body, and had the strongest team of Pokemon I had ever seen.

And yet, still, this raggamuffin bunch of amateur criminals had captured me twice. Somehow, an arrogant, stupid, maniac of a man had outmatched me. Putting my face between my knees, I silently began to cry.