Chapter 52

As the elevator effortlessly glided upwards into the clouds, Piers was restless, fidgeting with the sleeves of his trademark motorcycle jacket, paired with a fresh tank top and black leather jeans. I myself had dove into the deep end of the punk-goth aesthetic of fashion for this assignment, blended perfectly with my usual preppy sense of style.

Heavy-handed eyeliner on the upper lash line, shimmery eyeshadow the color of shimmery charcoal and maroon lips that stretched into a cold, smiling poker face. A black, knee-high pencil skirt, white blouse and black blazer, matched with black platform heels and studded earrings made the two clashing fashion styles mix perfectly. I looked and felt confident as the doors slid open with a pleasant ding to reveal Chairman Rose's office.

"Ah, Miss Gia," Rose smiled, rising and offering me a hand. "How wonderful to see you after all this time."
"Let's skip the formalities, shall we?" I said coldly, taking a seat without taking his hand. A bit taken aback, Rose sat down again, and the meeting began.

"I came here on behalf of Mr. Erembour here to file a legal report about the incident in Wyndon about two months ago," I said, composing my best business face to present my pitch. "We intend to sue Macro Cosmos for causing critical damage to Wyndon's economy, threatening public security and attempted murder of a local celebrity for political gain."

Rose went pale for a moment, before laughing and smiling. "My dear, your claims are irrational," he said, voice smoother than butter. "How could I possibly cause the city I love so much to fall into chaos?" I smirked, folding my hands on the table. Two could play at that game. "Two months is a lot of time to devote to a legal case, Rose. More than enough to gather DNA samples from the crime scene, review street camera footage, track down and collect eyewitness accounts..."

"You've come prepared," Rose noted.
"I do tend to do that," I said with a cheeky grin. "Now, I've collected a folder containing all evidence of charges against Macro Cosmos and you in particular. There have been many other cases of...shady business surrounding your companies, Mr. Chairman."

I tossed the portfolio on his desk, eying him. Carefully, he opened it and flipped through the pages. "Three years ago; the outbreak of Dynamaxed Pokemon rampaging across towns all throughout Galar. Sources found large collections of Wishing Stars stored in one of your power plants in Hammerlocke.

"Seventeen years ago; 'Young upstart businessman takes over mantle of Macro Cosmos Inc.' was the headline in every newspaper. Gossip blogs wonder what happened to the former owner, who had mysteriously and suddenly announced his retirement and passed down the title to one of his managers. People started tracing suspicions back to one person; the new young owner of the company, Theodore Rose."

"That's quite enough of that, now," Rose said, trying to stop me. I continued on past him. "Two months ago. A mysterious and unnatural earthquake hits the center of Wyndon, and yet somehow Rose Tower is unaffected by the event. Some eyewitness accounts reported a mysterious figure running across the rooftops of some of the buildings in Wyndon before hopping disappearing into the night. Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to invite Mr. Xavier to our little discussion."

"I-I don't know what you're talking about," Rose said, laughing nervously.
"Oh really?" I asked innocently, smiling as I reached up to my earpiece. "Meowsie, darling, would you please bring our guest to Mr. Rose's office?" A split-second later, a body came flying through the glass window, causing Rose and Piers to jump back in surprise. X groaned as he lay crumpled on the floor, Salamence and Meowsie lording over him.

"I decided to take the time and track down this mysterious shadow present at the time the earthquake took place," I said, not even phased by the glass shards everywhere. "It does make the job easier when one has a Pokemon with such a refined tracking ability."

Rose looked genuinely scared now, and I noticed him swallow his panic and hiss out, "I have no idea who this man is. Now get him out of my office!!"
"Mr. Chairman...?" X groaned once he'd sat up and taken a look around. Then, he did a double-take when he saw me sitting across from Rose.

"You," he hissed, yelping when Salamence put a giant claw on his back, forcing him to the ground. "You horrible, deceitful, selfish little--"
"Hush now, Xavier," I purred, a satin smile on my maroon lips. "The grown-ups are talking."
"Alright, so you've found my Team Rocket operative, so what?" Rose asked, hyperventilating. "You still can't prove anything."
"Can't I?" I asked, and Rose turned white.

"Are you aware I am the daughter of this Mr. G you've been speaking with for the past three months now? The very same man who told me over the phone on a recorded message just the other day about how Macro Cosmos' manager, Theodore Rose, transferred $10 million in cash to a private bank account reserved specifically for Team Rocket operatives? Or how he ordered Special Operative X to the service of Macro Cosmos for that specific price?"

Rose was whiter than Piers, who was standing behind me trying to hold in his hysterical laughter, and failing. "I..I wasn't aware I was speaking to Mr. G's daughter," he said, trying for a sycophantic smile. "Please, forgive my poor judgement earlier." I smirked; being Giovanni's daughter has always had its advantages.

"My father doesn't appreciate his personal representative being treated with such distaste," I clicked my tongue. "And he doesn't trust the money you've given him."
"I assure you, ma'am, everything is in place in the bank account," Rose tried, but I silenced him with a hand. "It's not where the money is, it's how you came into possession of it. Mr. G would absolutely hate to be dragged into a legal mess like that; you understand, don't you, Rose?"

"Of course," he laughed, loosening his tie. "We'll withdraw the money immediately, no questions asked."
"I'd like for you to put it into a separate account," I said flatly. "After all, we still need compensation for you using our operatives."

"I beg your pardon, miss, but if you aren't going to use the money I will be taking it back," Rose said, his fear starting to turn into annoyance with my high-and-mighty act. "I could always ask my father to drop a nuclear bomb on Wyndon. Would you give it to me then?" I asked without batting an eye. Rose swallowed his displeasure and choked out, "Of course. My apologies. We will...put the money....elsewhere."

"Put it in a private account I can access when we leave," I said, collecting my portfolio. "I have other plans for it. X?" My fellow operative growled, looking up at me with the steeliest glare he could muster. "Go to hell," he spat.
"Does Kanto sound like a good compromise?" I smiled back. "How about you tell Giovanni about how you botched your mission and caused Team Rocket to lose $10 million in cash?"

X opened his mouth to cuss before Meowsie shoved something in it. "If this guy ran like his mouth did, he'd be in amazing shape," she said after taping his mouth shut. "Where do you want him, boss?"
"Take him to the pickup zone and leave him," I smirked. "Call for a chopper. I'm sure Father will be thrilled to hear he was hired to kill his only daughter."

Meowsie grinned, hopping back onto Salamence as he grabbed X in his claws and flew out from the same hole in the window he came in from. "It was a pleasure, Rose," I smiled, standing and ushering Piers out of the office. "I hope to never do it again."

********

"You just did that," Piers said, still in shock as the elevator slowly slid down to the ground. "Yes I did," I smiled. "$10 million, all for Spikemuth. It should help keep it running for years."
"Is it a bit too soon t' say I love ya?"
"Not really. It is a bit forward, though."