Chapter 12

"Are you sure we've got everything?" I asked Meowsie for the umpteenth time that morning. "Clothes? Money? Extra Pokeballs? Full Restores? Revives? Camping gear?"
"Check, check, double check, checkers, checkeroo, and check," Meowsie said with an obvious eye roll. "You've asked me this a bajillion times! We're not missing anything!"

"I just want to be sure we didn't leave anything," I said, scanning under my bed and the couch. "The moment we start stealing Wishing Stars, they'll be searching places near the crime scene. Of course, hopefully, we'll be miles away by the time they find out we've been here, but you can't be too careful. No paper trail, no fingerprints-"

"No trace," Meowsie finished. "Gia, you've told me that ten million times! We're fine! Now grab your bag and head downstairs. The cleaners should be here within half an hour to clean out the room."

"Fine," I grumbled, pulling my head out from under the bed. "Everyone, back in their luxury balls. You too, Meowsie. Can't have people signalling me out from the beginning." Meowsie grumbled a complaint before returning to her luxury ball. She hated being confined in there for long periods of time, but I promised to let her out the moment we were in Motostoke. Her capsule wiggled in response. Gently kissing it, I put it away in my bag.

"Shelgon, walk with me," I commanded, releasing my Dragon-type. "If I have different partners travelling with me, people can't signal me out as one person. Albeit, extra disguises wouldn't hurt, but for now with our limited budget this is the best we can do." Shelgon just grunted in agreement, waddling behind me out the door, down the elevator and into the Wyndon sunlight.

Breathing in the scent of the city, I pulled out my Rotom Phone and looked up the Flying Taxi services. I vaguely remembered Maddie saying something about a private service stationed in Wyndon only, so I called the number and waited for someone to pick up.

As I waited, I looked around and took note of popular Galarian tourist attractions and shops. Ice cream vendors stationed around the street. Eye-poppingly colorful teal and orange-yellow barber shops (I would definitely need to visit there when Father permitted me to dye my hair back to black). A red bakery with people and the scent of sugar and spice flooding out the door and down the sidewalk.

I breathed in the scent of consumerism, trying to soak it all in like a sponge. If I were to blend in as a tourist, I needed to study to become a tourist. Nobody would suspect me as a superthief if I was a dim-witted, camera-wielding grockel (to use some local slang).

As the phone finally picked up on the eighth ring, the moment I asked for Maddie, the person on the other end choked and shouted for someone. Instantly, there was scuffling in the background, then her honeyed voice took the call.

"Hellooo~," Maddie sang into the phone. "Flying Taxi Drive Madeline Amaterasu at your service~. How can I help you this lovely, lovely morning?"
"Hey Maddie," I smiled. "It's Mira."
"Mira," she squealed. "How've you been?! Feels like forever since I last saw you!"

"Yeah, it has been awhile," I chuckled, absentmindedly fiddling with the collar of my shirt. "Listen. I need a ride to Motostoke, and none of the taxis here in Wyndon fly that far. So, since I knew you lived around here, I figured you could help me."

"Bloody wankers," she murmured when she thought I couldn't hear. "Listen, Mira, I'd love nothing more than to take you to Motostoke, but the thing is, me dad threw a total wobbly over me taking the carriage all the way to the Wild Area without his permission, and he completely lost the plot. Thinks I'm taking the piss out of our business trying to fly people all over Galar without proper training, he does. 

"'Course, I told him how much you liked my company, but it all went to pot! Seriously! It's bloody minging how much he doesn't trust me! We had some great big rows about it, and my pop's right knackered, but I can't sneak out again. He'll never let me out of the house 'till I'm twenty!"

"Um...can you repeat that, please?" I asked. "But this time, without the Galarian slang."
"Oh. Sure thing, love. I got grounded for a week."
"What?!" I audibly gasped. "That's crazy! But, honestly, you kind of had it coming."
"Yeah, I know, guv'," she admitted sadly. "Oh well. That's just how the Pyukumuku punches, I guess."

"Yeah," I agreed, upset over my lack of transport more than anything else. "I hope your dad changes his mind about grounding you."
"You and me both. I'll seeya 'round, Mir-Mir." And with that, she hung up.

Mir-Mir? Really? I could practically hear Meowsie's voice chiding me. I really had left her in her luxury ball for a long time. Hurriedly, I pulled out my phone and called the regular Galarian Taxi Service for a flight to Motostoke.