Chapter 50

I wished I was dreaming. Hallucinating, going crazy, sleep deprived, having a nightmare. Anything to prove the hell I was experiencing wasn't real, that Shelgon was fine and I wasn't going to die trapped under a billboard with the man I wasn't allowed to love.

I pressed closer to Piers, relishing the warmth that radiated from his body. I felt words whispered into my head, but I couldn't make them out. Espeon cooed and squeezed under the tent my bent legs formed. I let her, stroking her velveteen fur. "I love you," I whispered to her. "I love each and every one of you." In turn, I grabbed each luxury ball and kissed it. "Toxie...Skrelp...Salazzle...Meowsie...Shelgon--"

I choked when I held his luxury ball. My first partner, my first friend. We had been together longer than any of my other partners, even Meowsie. Now, he was gone. I sobbed as I tucked his away and hid my face in my knees. The rubble and debris around us kept falling, pitter-pattering on the roof like deadly raindrops. The ceiling above us bent and wailed under the stress. I sobbed one last "Goodbye" as the metal creaked and bent even further.

Then, suddenly, I heard a roar. It was a roar unlike anything I had ever heard before. It was a roar of pain, of fury, of determination. It was the roar of a dragon. Gasping, I scrambled to look where Shelgon had fallen, and I couldn't believe my eyes.

Bricks were flying from where Shelgon had been buried, sent off into low earth orbit by the energy pulsating from the pile of debris. The entire pile was glowing bright blue, and I heard a roar as I saw something warping and changing under the rubble. Crescent-shaped wings burst from the rubble, sending more of it flying. A reptilian head on a curvy neck came next, and as the pile exploded into bits and pieces of rubble, the light faded to reveal Salamence.

"Salamence," I whispered. "A Dragon and Flying type. Its wish to fly triggered a genetic mutation making it sprout wings. It flies until it is too tired to do so. If enraged, it will destroy everything until it is exhausted." Salamence cried with joy upon seeing its new wings, flapping them happily and blowing columns of flame into the air.

"Salamence," I shouted over the roof that could collapse any second. "Over here!" Instantly, its head whipped towards me and it roared again. Charging, it leapt into the air and landed just in front of us. Sweeping its mighty arm, it knocked the rubble we were trapped under off of us and sent it flying into the crumbling wall of a building.

"Dragon Claw," I breathed. "A new move! Amazing!" Salamence purred at the compliment, gently nosing at my body, now tiny in comparison to him. "You're a Salamence now," I smiled, pressing my head against his. "You've finally evolved!" He roared with happiness, and I laughed.

Piers was staring in disbelief, eyes bigger than I'd ever seen them. Carefully, he reached up to touch Salamence's nose. My partner bumped his face against Piers' snow white hand, purring gently, which sounded more like a motorcycle engine rather than a tame noise. Piers just chuckled and gently stroked the plasticy scales between his eyes.

"I can't believe we just survived that," he said.
"We did," I replied in disbelief, still in shock.
"We're alive," he grinned, before laughing. "We're alive!" I soon joined in, whooping and hollering and dancing around with victory.

Soon, I stopped, panting and leaning against Salamence. "We're alive," I gasped for air. "It appears so," Piers laughed, hands on his knees. I ran up to him and caught him in a giant hug. "We're alive," I sighed, digging my nails into his back and inhaling the scent of dust and faint cologne.

"Ya know, I think that earthquake kinda interrupted us earlier," Piers muttered with a smile in his voice. "Oh really?" I smirked, looking up into those seafoam eyes.
"Yep," he said, all jokes gone from his voice.