Prologue

Giovanni checked his watch as the stainless steel elevator glided silently past the many levels of the Team Rocket Headquarters. 1:44 AM. Six minutes before he was due to arrive at the lab. He smiled at the little silver second hand, ticking away with a rhythmic clicking noise. He was a very punctual man, never late for meetings. As the leader of the Team Rocket organization, he had to set an example for his staff. 

You are requesting access to Level Negative 5-R, A woman's voice came through an overhead speaker. Voice identification required. Please state your name and rank.

"Giovanni," he said calmly, looking at the dome-shaped security camera facing him. "Team Rocket Boss." Thank you, the voice replied. With a nearly silent whirring noise, the back wall opened up and plush, velvet seats a dark hibiscus color slid into place. Giovanni took a seat, and fastened himself in using a silver seat belt. 

Preparing underground access to Level Negative 5-R Lab, the woman's voice came again. Initiating countdown sequence. 10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 

Giovanni shifted around a bit more, trying to find a comfortable position to stay in when the pressure hit. The underground elevators were the fastest way to travel, and they were usually reserved for the higher ranking Team Rocket officers. 

However, in exchange for the high-speed travel and luxurious accompaniments, there was an incredible amount of force forced upon the riders. You couldn't ride more than three in one day, unless you wanted to risk blowing your ears out. Since Giovanni didn't want to arrive at the lab with his suit covered in blood, he had forfeited the elevators for the day. 

3. 2. 1. 0. Elevator lines ready for transport. Initiating launch to Level Negative 5-R Lab, the voice came on. Giovanni shut his eyes in anticipation for the sudden jolt to signal his departure. He was not disappointed. The shuttle groaned, and then took off at a breakneck speed down the tunnels into the dark. 

The ride to the lab was long and tedious. Every so often, Giovanni had to reach up and clear his ears to relieve them of the pressure buildup. The reason it was such a long journey was because the lab had been constructed in a cave under the Seafoam Islands, rumored to be the resting place of a legendary Pokemon. 

The lab had been the most secret of secretive plans, with only a select round table of Team Rocket Operatives let on about its construction. Fewer still knew what it was actually used for. 

Giovanni had intended for Lab R to be a facility where next-generation technology and experiments were conducted and experimented with. But, there was one final piece of the pie. Something that set Lab R apart from the rest.

 In this lab, Giovanni wanted to delve deeper into genetic engineering and editing the DNA of Pokemon. And not just any ordinary Pokemon, either. Oh, no. Regular Pokemon weren't good enough to be apart of this project. 

For this particular experiment, Giovanni wanted to edit and combine the genetic material of legendary Pokemon. He wanted to combine and piece together the perfect match of Pokemon to make the ultimate weapon. Something so powerful, that it could destroy the world. And for this first test, he had a special combination of Pokemon especially reserved.

As the transport shuttle shuddered to a stop, Giovanni unbuckled himself and brushed the wrinkles from his suit. Straightening his tie and fixing a casual business smile on his face, the doors slid open to reveal a pure white room. 

It looked like all color had been leeched from the room, from the doors leading to different parts of the lab, to the tables laden with tools used for experiments, to the equipment itself. The uniforms of the scientists were a horrific clash with the white, dark grays and pinks popping out from every part of the room.