Chapter 42

Rikki's POV

The next morning I woke up early and decided to go for a run. I always found running at the beach so relaxing, it helped me forget about everything going on because all I would focus on was running. I was wearing a pair of black athletic shorts, a white sports bra and no shoes because I wanted to run on the shoreline. The sun was barely up, so the weather was really nice and there wasn't really anyone on the beach.

After I hit the 3 mile mark and decided to search up the nearest smoothie place. Once I found one that was open I ran there to get in a few extra miles. I finally reached the smoothie bar and when I walked in I realized I was the only one there. As I looked up at the menu, the only thing that stood out was a strawberry, kiwi and mint smoothie. I walked up to the register where a cute boy with tan skin, dirty blonde hair and ocean blue eyes stood behind. "Morning, what can I started for ya." The boy said sweetly.

"Hi, can I get a strawberry, kiwi and mint smoothie?" I asked.

"Of course, will that be all for you today?" He said after punching my order into the register.

"Yes, thank you...Sam" I said looking at his name tag.

"You're welcome...."

"Rikki" I said.

"You're welcome Rikki." He smiled.

As someone else was making my smoothie Sam decided to make small talk with me, not that I minded. "So, are you from around here?" He asked.

"Well I used to live in LA, but I'm currently going to college at NYU." I told him.

"Oh sick, I have always wanted to go there, but my family didn't have enough money." He stated.

"Oh, I'm sorry" I said with sympathy because NYU was truly an amazing school.

"Nah, it's alright. I have been working here and at a surf shop for the past 3 years to make some money and I'm happy to say that I'm 500 dollars away from being able to pay for school." He said showcasing another smile.

"Oh wow that's awesome." I said with a genuine smile. "So i'm assuming you surf?" I asked.

"Yup, learned when I was 3. What about you?" He asked me.

"I learned a couple of years ago with an old boyfriend of mine." I said thinking of Noah, but more specifically the night everything went to hell. I don't think I've ever been more scared, more scared then the incidents with my dad. What Noah did haunts me to this day and as much as I would like to say I would slap him if I saw him again, I knew I would cower away because what he did to me makes me fear him to this day.

I shook my head of the memories as Sam handed me my smoothie. Before I turned around to head out the door, Sam spoke up. "Hey, I have my break in an hour and if you want we could catch some waves for a bit." He said sweetly.

I pondered the idea before I said "I'd love to."

"Awesome meet me back here in an hour?" He asked.

"See you then." I smiled. There was something about Sam that made me happy, he seems super sweet and down to earth. I started to walk back to the beach house, taking my time drinking my smoothie because I wanted to savor the sweet flavor.

Once I finally got back, Mitch and Sarah were up and making pancakes.

"Smells good." I said with a smile.