The party

Natalie

After school, Krystal took me home so I could grab some clothes. We snuck into the house, I threw some clothes into a bag and left before my mom stopped me. I didn't want to discuss anything about Bradley or marriage.

Well, we almost made it to the car when my dad stopped me. "Natalie?" Dad asked.

I cringed. I turned and smiled at Dad. "Hey, Dad," I greeted him.

Dad walked over to me. "Where are you going?" He asked.

"I'm staying the night at Krystal's house so that we can study," I answered.

Krystal nodded. My dad looked at us, suspiciously.

"Well, studying is important," my dad said, not questioning it.

"You won't tell Mom, will you?" I asked.

"There's no need. School is important to you, and that's what matters. Who knows, maybe it will give you a future than what planned," Dad mentioned.

I didn't have to question my dad. We had a code between us. My dad lets my mom thinks she controls all aspects of the family and my life. She doesn't. It's a unique communication process between us.

"Thanks, Dad," I said, kissing his cheek and leaving.

My dad nodded and smiled. I wish my dad would say something to my mom. It would make life much easier for me, but I get it. Sometimes the argument isn't worth it.

Krystal drove over to her house and pulled into the circular driveway. We got out of the car and went into the house. I dropped my bag off in Krystal's room and went to the kitchen to eat.

Krystal's family cook made us food, and we sat at a table and ate. We used a formal room for meals with our parents or dinner parties. I hated them. I enjoyed it as simple.

"Where are your parents?" I asked in between bites.

"They're on a trip," Krystal mentioned.

"Doesn't it bother you that you're parents leave constantly?" I asked.

"You get used to it," Krystal said, shrugging.

"I wish my mom would take a trip off a short pier," I mumbled, making Krystal laugh.

It was true. Then I wouldn't have to listen to my mom mentioned Bradley.

"I don't know why you let your mom dictate your life. I think it's stupid that you have to marry someone that you don't know. Have you ever met Bradley?" Krystal asked.

"No, but my mom is having a dinner party this weekend to introduce me to Bradley. From the rumors I heard, he's boring and controlling. Image is everything to him," I answered.

"So he's an asshole," Krystal mentioned, making me laugh.

I shook my head and smiled. We finished eating, then got ready for Rodney's party. We dressed in tops and skirts, looking like everyday people. My mother would blow a nut if she saw how I wore. I didn't care. I wanted to have fun and come off snobbish.

After we finished getting ready, we left and walked out to the car.

"How do you think tonight will go?" I asked as I got into the car.

"At Rodney's party, anything could happen," Krystal answered as I laughed.

That was true. Something always happens at Rodney's party. I had a feeling tonight would change everything for me.

*******
Luke

After dinner, I showered and changed. My mom has plans with a guy she met recently named Tom. I met him a few times, but he seemed nice. Most kids would have an issue with their parent dating after their other parent died, but I didn't. I wanted my mom to be happy. Plus, I didn't want her to feel lonely. There's nothing worse than the sense of loneliness.