Heart Attack

(Y/N)'s POV

I managed to add the final touch to my armor.

There was a knock at the door.

"Connor, could you get that please?" I asked.

"Sure," he said.

I smiled. 'Normally he'd say of course. He's changed as much as I have.'

He opened the door.

Suddenly, I heard a loud bang.

I backed away from the armor, and I saw Connor fall to the ground, a bullet hole in his chest, and blue blood dripping from his mouth.

"CONNOR!" I yelled.

Obadiah walked into the room.

"Hello, (Y/N)," he said.

"You son of a--"

He shot me with a taser, knocking me to the ground.

He walked over to me and knelt down beside me, and set a briefcase down.

"Ah, (Y/N)," he said. "When I ordered the hit on you..." he pulled a device out of his briefcase, "I worried that I was killing the golden goose." He put the device on my arc reactor. I could hear it burning through the machine on my chest. "But, you see..." the device latched onto my arc reactor, "it was just fate that you survived that." He turned the device, and pulled the arc reactor out of my chest. "You had one last golden egg to give. Do you really think that just because you have an idea, it belongs to you? Your father, he helped give us the atomic bomb. Now, what kind of world would it be today if he was as selfish as you?"

He tugged the wires out of my chest. I started to feel the life slowly drain from my body.

Obadiah took the arc reactor out of the device and started admiring it. "Oh, it's beautiful. (Y/N), this is your Ninth Symphony. What a masterpiece. Look at that. This is your legacy. A new generation of weapons with this at its heart. Weapons that will help steer the world back on course, put the balance of power in our hands. The right hands." He picked up his briefcase, and put the arc reactor inside. "I wish you could've seen my prototype. It's not as..." He closed the briefcase. "Well, not as conservative as yours. Too bad you had to involve Miss Rose in this. I would have preferred that she lived."

'No!'

He got up and walked out of the dorm.

'Ruby! Oh Oum no! I've gotta move!'

I pushed myself so my chest was facing the floor.

'Okay! Okay! What now? I need an arc reactor! I need an--'

I spotted Ruby's gift on a desk.

'Bingo!'

I began crawling to the desk, trying to get to the arc reactor.

'I can make it! I can make it! Come on!'

I got to the desk and, using the little strength I had left, reached for the arc reactor.

I couldn't grab it. I used one of my arms to push myself up to it. I managed to touch it with my fingers, but accidentally pushed it back.

'Oum jam it!'

I dropped to the ground, the world starting to fade around me.

'This is it... I'm not gonna make it...'

I heard a scream.

I opened my eyes, and I saw Team RWBY standing over Connor's body. She looked at me.

"(Y/N)?!" Ruby said.

"A-Arc reactor..." I managed to say.

Ruby looked at the gift she'd given me. She ran to it, grabbed it, and smashed it against the ground, shattering the glass.

"What are you doing?!" Weiss said.

Ruby picked up the arc reactor and plugged it into my chest.

I gasped for air. Ruby twisted the arc reactor into my chest, securing it in.

I grabbed her arm.

"Ruby..." I moaned.

"What happened?" Blake asked.

"O-Obadiah..." I said.

Ruby's eyes widened. "What was he doing here?"

"He needed an arc reactor to power his prototype suit," I explained. "He came in and..."

My damaged heart shattered even more as I remembered the first thing Obadiah had done.

"Connor!" I shouted.

I got up and crawled to Connor's body.

He was lying there, blue blood pouring out of his mouth.

"Connor! Connor! Please!" I pleaded, tears falling from my eyes.

Ruby and Weiss knelt down to him.

"Connor?" Weiss said.

"What happened to him?" Ruby asked.

Connor opened his eyes. He looked around.

"Connor..." I said.

He looked at me, and he smiled.

"Hey, buddy," he said.

"Hey," I said, forcing a smile. "How you doing, bud?"

"I've seen better days," he said.

"Listen," I said. "I'm going to help you. I'm going to repair you... I'm not going to let you die..."

"It doesn't matter anymore," Connor said. "You... you have to find Obadiah... you have to stop him..."

I was crying at this point. "I'm not going to do that!"

"Don't talk like that, Connor!" Ruby said, crying too. "We can still save you!"

He looked at me. "Good luck with her, (Y/N)," he said. "She's a special one."

"Connor, please," I said. "I lost Yinsen... I can't lose you too!"

He smiled. "Thank you, (Y/N)," he said. "You showed me what it's like... showed me what it's like... to be human... to have emotions... to be free..."

"Connor..." I said.

He pulled the LED out of his head, and he put it in my hand.

I looked at it, and back at Connor.

"You were... my best friend..." Connor said.

Then, he lowered his head, and his body went limp as he shut down.

The tears were flowing freely at this point.

I could feel Ruby hug me.

"Everything's going to be okay," she said. "We'll get Obadiah together."

I looked at the LED.

'There has to be some way to get the old Connor back... and not have to start him over. I don't want to replace the real Connor... Wait! I have an idea!'

"Go get Obadiah," I said. "He should be at the (L/N) Industries arc reactor factory."

"What are you going to do?" Yang asked.

"Aren't you going to help?" Ruby asked.

"How is he going to help?" Blake asked.

We ignored her. "I'll catch up," I said. "I have an idea."

"Got it," Ruby said. "I'll call you if we find anything."

"Go!" I said.

Team RWBY ran out the door.

I looked at Connor's body, and then I looked at his LED.

'Don't worry Connor! I will save you!'