Chapter 19: Sugar Plum Fairy

Start from the beginning

"Ok. I was just curious..." He widens his eyes. "Sorry..."

I sigh, and shake my head.

"See you soon." He says, turning around.

I give him a look, and shut the door. Asshole.

I walk back in to the kitchen, and tidy up the paper work that's on the table.

"Andy didn't seem that bad." Vanessa says, as she mixes something in a bowl.

I look over at her, and see her smiling.

"You said you work with fucking idiots." She smirks.

"Yeah, he's one of them." I nod.

She giggles.

"He wanted to know if you were single." I shake my head.

"Seriously?" She raises her eyebrows.

"Yeah..."

She smiles slowly.

"He could have asked me himself." She shrugs. "Maybe I'd of given him my number."

I lower my eyebrows.

"Really?"

"Yeah." She nods. "He seemed nice."

She liked him? Why do I feel really bothered by this? I don't know what to say, so I keep quiet. I roughly take off my tie, feeling annoyed, and leave the kitchen. Am I jealous?

I go up to my room to take a shower, and get changed, ready for Jessica's show.

Once I'm ready, I walk back down to the kitchen to get myself a glass of water.

"Are you ok?" Vanessa asks, glancing over at me.

"Yeah."

She nods, and it goes silent between us.

"How was London?"

"Fine." I shrug. "But I'm exhausted after all the travelling. I left early, so I'd be back in time for Jessica's show, but I'm really feeling the jetlag now." I sigh, and sip my water.

"I bet." She frowns.

"What's that you're making?" I ask, looking at the oven.

"Carrot cake." She smiles. "And I got some ice cream for Jessie, for after the show."

"She will like that." I smile.

"She's been practicing, and working hard, so I think she deserves it."

I nod, and watch her take the cake out of the oven. I look her up and down before looking at the time, and clear my throat.

"We should probably get going." I say, taking out some chewing gum.

"Yeah, let me just grab my jacket."

I watch her, and put the gum in my mouth as she picks up her jacket.

"I'll drive. It's pointless taking two cars."

"Ok... I can drive us if you're feeling tired?" She lowers her eyebrows.

"That's ok. I'll be fine." I shake my head, chewing on my gum.

She nods and we leave the house.

****

The drive is quiet.

Every now and then, I feel Vanessa look over at me, and when she isn't looking I do the same to her. My eyes keep travelling down to her legs. I should have worn my sunglasses, so I wouldn't feel worried about her catching me out.