Chapter 14: Silent Punishment

Start from the beginning

“Trini-boo, please tell me what happened. I’m begging you. I can’t take this anymore.” He responded in such a pleading way. He really wanted to know, but how could I explain it? It wasn’t as easy to put into words as it was to confess in my mind.

“Tris, I can’t. I just can’t tell you.” I admitted as I held on to him tighter. I felt so safe, like nothing could harm me.

All I needed was him, my brother, my over-protective, over-reacting, too caring brother. I couldn’t put him in jeopardy and I couldn’t take the chance that he would kill my father and Chester for what they continued to do to me.

“Why can’t you tell me Trini? You can tell me anything, you know that. I love you. You’re my sister, my twin, my other half.” He explained in a thoughtful and compassionate way. His love really was more than I deserved. He would be devastated and angry if I told him my secret. Nothing good could come of it.

I remembered when I told him about Ches beating me and what happened then. A few days after he found out, he didn’t come from football practice. I got nervous and called his cell but he never answered. I called his coach, but he ditched practice and wasn’t seen in a few hours. I started to worry because it was getting late and I was home alone, with him.

After several more failed attempts at calling his phone, my cell rang alerting me that I had a call. No one ever called me unless it was Tris or Chester. Sadly, I had no friends but that was of my own choosing. It was better that way, less explaining and lying to do. When I saw the number on the caller ID, I started to panic. I recognized the hospital’s number. I answered hastily with shaky hands and an even shakier voice.

“Hello.” I said in a quiet, sorrowful tone. I knew it was bad. It had to be bad for the hospital to be calling me.

“Trinity, it’s Dr. Wells.” His voice was hesitant and remorseful.

“Gabe? Why are you calling me, what’s wrong?” I questioned with fear thick in my words. I was suddenly overcome with a terrible feeling that something awful had happened to the only person I cared about.

“Trin, I’m sorry to have to say this… but it’s Tristan. He’s at the hospital.” He replied slowly so I could assimilate each word. What the hell happened? Was he in an accident? I told him not to drive so fast in that damn car without a license.

“What happened?” The words left my mouth, but I really didn’t want to ask. I was frightened beyond words that my brother was hurt, or worse, dead.

“Trin, calm down. He’s stable now but you need to come to the hospital. There was a…. situation. The police have some questions and I was trying to keep them from calling your parents.” He responded with a reassuring tone.

“Police? A situation? What the hell happened?” I screamed in panic. What on earth could have transpired that caused the police to get involved?

“There was… an altercation. Apparently Tristan jumped some guy and beat the crap out of him. Only, the guy had some very big friends and he ended up with the worst of it.” Gabe responded sympathetically. He was calm and tried to soothe me, but still, I was freaking out.

“Oh my God! Is he okay, please… please tell me he is going to be okay. I can’t lose him Gabe. He’s all I have left.” I pleaded desperately.

“He’ll be fine Trin. He only needs a few days in the hospital. You can take him home after that, just try to keep him out of any further trouble for a while. Broken ribs and a collapsed lung is nothing to fool around with. Anyway, please just come to the hospital, he’s been asking for you.” Gabe finished in a quiet tone. I nodded then realized that he couldn’t see me so I choked out an ‘okay’ and called myself a cab.