"Hi," he smiles as I step out of my car.

"Wow," is all I can seem to say. "How the hell did you afford this place?"

As soon as the question leaves my mouth I realise it sounded pretty rude. I didn't mean it like that, but on our salary—this isn't an option. Thankfully, he doesn't take offence at all. "Family money bought it," he tells me. "Disgusting, I know."

I let out a laugh as we begin to walk inside. He leads me straight through the house and outside into the garden, where he has what I can only describe as a white dome shaped structure. As we step inside it has a tv, couches and a fire in the middle. It's really pretty.

"You didn't strike me as the rich type," I blurt out, before facepalming. "Sorry, I did it again."

"It's okay," he chuckles. He motions for me to take a seat, and sits down beside me. "I'm not rich, I stopped speaking to my family a long time ago, and they cut me off—I just kept the house. I've payed for everything since I was 16 years old."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Don't be, it was the best thing I've ever done," he tells me with a genuine smile. "You look great, by the way."

Before I can respond he holds up his hands. "Don't worry, I know this isn't a date. I meant it in the most friendly way possible. I'm not complaining, I seem to lack in that department."

"Why is that?" I ask. "Yikes, I'm on a roll tonight." my face reddens.

He laughs as he pours two glasses of wine. "Sorry, you don't have to answer that. I tend to just blurt things out." I say.

"I don't trust people's intentions, Amara. People tend to use me for the money that they think I have, and when they realise they were wrong they don't need me anymore," he explains as he hands me the glass, not looking me in the eye. "It's why I don't invite people over here."

"Why did you invite me?" I ask with a raised brow.

"Because even though I don't know you at all, somehow I know you aren't that type of person." he answers.

I feel a sadness hearing that he's so lonely because of such a materialistic reason. "People who treat you as dispensable aren't worth keeping around anyway," I tell him. "I'm happy to be your friend, Quentin."

He smiles, and I realise how kind his eyes are. It really is the nicest people who get dealt the worst hand in life. "Thank you, Amara."

He falls silent for a second and I can see the hesitation in his eyes, he's about to ask something I don't want to answer. "What happened with Elijah? If you don't mind me asking."

Called it. I take in a sharp breath as I take a sip of wine. "I retract my question," he chuckles, holding his hands up.

"That's probably best."

"So how is work? Miss 'I somehow got promoted in my fucking residency.'" he teases.

"Shut up," I roll my eyes.

"It's because of your eidetic memory, right?" he asks.

I shrug. "I don't have an eidetic memory, there have been no cases where someone has a memory like that, that only works when it comes to a certain topic. I don't know how to explain it."

"A prodigy, I see," he chuckles. "So, how is it?"

"It's busy, stressful. I've considered knocking my interns' heads together a few times."

"I'm sure you have," he laughs.

We talk for a while, and as time goes on I realise I've only had two sips of wine. He's a really interesting person, and I can see him being a great friend to have. I feel good about it being only that—he needs a friend much more than he needs anything else anyway.