Chapter 8: Going Steady - Part One: The Rebel

Start from the beginning

Nicole: I learned that when you skip class, professors are much less forgiving than--

Michael: You SKIPPED!? It's only your first week! Nicole, you should never, EVER skip school. Nothing is more important than an education. You should know better than that! Nothing --

Nicole: Well, it was worth it... This sweet boy asked me to be his girlfriend, so...

She shrugged coyly before glancing up at Michael, pouting and scratching his head, now able to remember that their picnic did fall on a Wednesday afternoon. Then he laughed, still waving his finger at her.

Michael: Well, there are some exceptions I suppose... but NO MORE! Your schooling is very important. You should take it very seriously and go to every class! Every day! I'm serious now...

Nicole: Yes sir. I've learned my lesson.

She reached for the hand chastising her, lacing her fingers between his as they continued to walk towards the main house. His fingers were thin and strong, but fit hers like a glove. Nicole could feel his bright eyes burning through her as she smirked. It was a small thing, swinging hands through the yard with your sweetheart as he carried your school books, but it gave them each something they'd never felt before.

Michael opened the door, welcoming Nicole to the kitchen. The house was quiet, almost eerie in its stillness. But Michael warmed the space instantly, throwing her books down on the counter and heading for the cupboard to unload whatever caught his eye.

Michael: We have peanuts and popcorn and these gummy things. Oh, and chips! And rice cakes, but you don't want that, it tastes like cardboard.

Nicole: Could I have a drink?

Michael: For sure!

He skipped over to the refrigerator, opening the doors dramatically.

Michael: We have orange juice or apple juice or Pepsi... You like grapes? And water of course. And Kool-aid... Looks like the purple one.

Setting the whole pitcher on the counter made Nicole chuckle a little. This grand house with security and peacocks and gold plaques on the walls but his snacks looked just like hers. And just like every Black family she knew, the Jacksons drank their Kool-aid from a plastic pitcher just like hers. She watched him pull out a few more things before closing the door and standing before her. He wore jeans fastened with a large belt buckle below a black and white striped long-sleeved polo. She was staring. 

He giggled again with so much joy.

Michael: What!? Aren't you hungry?

After surveying the options, Nicole reached for a pre-made cheddar popcorn and apple juice. Michael picked at peanuts, leaving a mess of shells on the countertop. Seemed like a lot of work for an awfully small bite of food.

Nicole: Now what?

Michael: How about a film? We can watch it in the theater... So it's like a date?

Nicole: Sounds perfect.

With loaded arms, they journeyed back across the yard. They had skipped the theater on the tour earlier in the week so Nicole was excited to see it. It looked very much like a smaller version of a public movie space with a projector, grand screen and red-clothed rocking seats for 35. They dumped their arms in the first row and sat in the second while Michael debated the movie.

Michael: So, what should we watch? We have loads of horror movies! Or old black and whites... or 'Stooges?'

Nicole: Oh, I don't care.