20

I sat in the same near empty room once again, this time not tied up and just simply sitting in the chair. A table and additional chair was added now, and I anxiously waited for Jason to walk through the door.

As soon as I heard it open I turned and ran to Jason, embracing him as it had been so long. I could feel him wrap his arms around me, holding me tight as well. "I've missed you so much," I told him, feeling my eyes well up with tears.

"Are you okay? Did he hurt you?" Jason asked, pulling away to get a better look at me.

I shook my head. "I'm fine, he hasn't done anything yet. But I'm sure that won't last long."

"I'm doing everything I can to figure this out, trust me," Jason assured.

I quickly nodded, fully trusting him anyway. I put my hands on his cheeks and pulled him down to meet our lips, not having felt them in too long.

"If you don't get to talking, I'll have two men come in to take Jason out in a matter of seconds," Alex's voice rang through the speaker in the room.

Jason and I separated, not wanting our time cut any shorter the it needed to be. Jason shook his head and cursed under his breath. "What is Alex using you for?"

I sighed, getting down to it. "He told me what all of this is about. How he wants the gang from you."

"Well, I guess at this point you deserve to know," Jason shrugged.

I was hesitant how to go about this, or what exactly to say. Especially since I knew Alex was listening in the whole time. "He said the gang rightfully belongs to him," I decided to be blunt, wondering if it was true anyway.

Jason scoffed. "Yeah? And what else did he say?" he asked, walking over to sit down at the table.

I followed, sitting across from him to fill him in. "He said since he's the oldest, he was supposed to inherit it and become the leader when your dad passed, but you took over instead and then kicked him out for all the power...something like that..." Jason shook his head, clearly annoyed as he turned to the side. "That's not true, is it?"

Jason looked back at me. "It's true! But it's just missing the important details," he admitted, leaning forward. "We spent most of our lives learning the in's and out's of the gang. Fighting, shooting, trade, business, all of it. Alex struggled a lot, specifically with the business side of things. My father saw this, and seeing as I had a good handle on everything, decided that if anything were to happen to him that I would instead take over. So when he died, that's what happened," Jason explained.

"What about kicking Alex out?"

"I didn't kick him out until he started going insane! He got so mad that I took over, he started to purposely sabotage the gang! He stole our supplies, gave away our locations, and became careless. It wasn't until Alex decided not to keep watch on a mission and caused three men to get killed that I finally kicked him out. He became a danger," Jason's tone became tense as he recalled.

"I figured there had to be more to the story," I said, not surprised at all.

"Yeah, a lot more. Doesn't matter what he says, the gang doesn't, and will never, belong to him."

I looked down, fidgeting with my hands. "You know, Alex told me about the deal he proposed the other night," I finally brought it up. "Giving him the gang in exchange for me and enough money to go live somewhere else..."

"He's definitely getting desperate."

"Aren't you?" I blurted out, looking up at him. "I mean...have you thought about it?"

"I don't need to, I'm not giving him control over the gang," Jason was decided.

"You didn't even consider it?" I questioned.

Jason gave me a weird look. "I can't! This isn't just giving him some expensive object, we're talking about an empire here! Locations worldwide, thousands of dollars and weapons, all of the supplies, a whole business!"

"Jason, those are just things..."

"It's more than that! My father worked his whole life building this thing form the ground up, and he trusted ME to carry on with it, to continue his legacy! If I give it to Alex, he'll just watch it all go down in flames!" Jason began to raise his voice.

"You don't know that," I denied.

"Oh yes, I do! You think he cares what happens with it now? He has his own gang now, so he'll take what he needs and leave the rest to shit!" He was now shouting. "What about all of mine and my father's hard work?"

"What about me?" I finally yelled back. Jason stared back, surprised by my outburst and just sitting in silence. I gulped, taking a breath before continuing more calmly. "Alex has offered to not only release me, but give us enough money to move and live somewhere else. You wouldn't have to worry about the gang anymore, and we could start a new life together!"

Jason continued to sit insolence, and I'm not sure how long it was before he finally responded, "Katie...I love you...but this is much bigger than you! I have to consider all of my members too, and their lives. Even if Alex somehow runs the gang well enough, what do you think he'll do to all of the members who didn't side with him when I kicked him out? Who helped me get rid of him? You think he's going to just let them go?" I looked away, having not even thought about how all of the gang members would be affected. Jason reached out and grabbed my hand. "Look, I'm trying my best to find a solution. It's all I'm doing right now! But I'm not taking that deal."

I nodded, still not looking at him as I was hurt. But I understood. The door then opened and two large men came in, walking toward us.

"Time to go," one said to Jason.

Jason ignored them, remaining seated. "Katie?" I finally turned to look at him again, trying to give a grin but failing to do so. "I love you."

I gave a nod, "I love you too."

Jason then stood and followed the two out, leaving me alone in the room once again. I shook my head, putting my head in my hands and resisting the urge to cry. I had no idea how I was getting out of here.