3

Ever since that phone call, Jason seemed more on edge. Not necessarily worried, but he was working more with the gang. I couldn't be upset since that's his job, or really his life. And I found myself just settling in to make myself feel more at home.

I was putting away some of my new clothes when some sort of alarm went off. There was a long beep with a slight pause before it repeated. Windows were blocked off and I could hear people rushing around. Jason never mentioned any alarms, so I didn't even know what to do or what this was for!

I walked out of my room, looking around and seeing everyone had gone downstairs. I followed, just searching for anyone to help me or give some sort of explanation.

"Katie, what are you still doing up here? We have to go to the basement," Jason spotted me, taking my arm and leading me down. My heart was racing as I still didn't know what was going on, but I wasn't sure I should speak.

We went through a hidden door that was in the basement that lead to a tunnel. Jason's hand was still gripping mine as we rushed through, finally reaching a large room where his gang was hiding. Jason shut the door behind me and there was just a few seconds of silence before he pressed something on his watch and the alarms shut off.

"You all failed!" Jason announced, causing some confusion. "And you want to know why?" He questioned. No one responded, I think fearful of him. "You left the most important thing in this house!" He then reached for me, making me face everyone with him. "Katie here was stranded on her own, and had this been real and not a drill, she could've been captured or even killed!" He raised his voice angrily.

"We didn't know to get her," someone spoke up.

"You know to look out for each other!" He yelled, unhappy with the excuse. "When one of us needs help, we help each other! Katie is one of us now, so I expect you treat her as such!" Jason scanned the room, making sure everyone heard him loud and clear. "Okay, back to work," he dismissed them.

I turned to Jason, still a bit lost. "That was just a drill?" I asked him.

"Yeah, it's for when we have intruders. We don't usually have them but since you were taken last time, I've updated our systems and made sure we're prepared," he explained.

"Why didn't you tell me? I could've gone down here if I had known..."

"I wanted to test the gang, see if they would look out for you. Obviously they didn't, but we'll change that. They'll learn to protect you," he cut me off.

I didn't like relying on other people to protect me, especially when I didn't know anyone here. "You should tell me what to do during these drills, then I can protect myself," I told Jason.

"I don't want it to come to that," he disagreed.

"Me neither, but just in case..." I trailed off, noticing Jason was already thinking about it.

Jason sighed but nodded. "Okay, fine. I'll have one of my men teach you self defense and go over drills with you."

"Thank you," I get a bit relieved.

"But hopefully you'll never have to use it," he added. We started walking back to the basement to go upstairs when one of the gang members approached Jason.  He leaned forward and whispered something to Jason that I couldn't hear. "Now?" Jason questioned, the gang member nodding in response. Jason huffed, shaking his head. "I'll be right over," he told him, then turning to me. "I have business I need to take care of so I'll be gone for the night, but I'll still have the house guarded, alarms systems clearly work, and you'll be fine," he explained.

"Is everything okay?" I asked him, although not expecting details.

"I just have to check one of my warehouses, I'll be back tomorrow though," he answered, kissing my forehead and then leaving.

I understood Jason had work he needed to do, but I also wish I could spend more time with him. Thinking about it now, we've never spent actual quality time together given our circumstances. I was hoping now that I chose to live with him, we could actually do that.

I sighed, glancing over at the gang member that gave the information to Jason. He was about Jason's height, but had broader shoulders. He had dark hair and green eyes that were staring at me. "I can take you back to your room," he offered.

He's probably thinking of Jason's speech from earlier. I shook my head though, "That's fine, I can walk upstairs myself."

"Oh. Well, if you need anything, I'm Max," he introduced himself.

"Katie...and thanks," I gave a small smile before making my way back to my room and just continuing where I left off.