7

Max drove us downtown the next day, parking on the side of the road.  I stepped out of the car and onto the sidewalk, looking around and noticing there were of course quite a few people, but it wasn't too busy.  I turned to Max who had gotten out as well, "Are you going to be watching my every move or something, or how does this work?" I asked him, feeling a bit stupid but asking anyway.

"I won't be hovering over you, but I'll always be close by.  I might want to do some shopping too," he joked, making me chuckle.

"Just don't steal anything while you're with me," I warned.

He shook his head.  "Don't worry, that's not my thing," he said.

I walked into a few shops, buying some jewelry and other accessories as Jason had mainly bought me just clothes.  He had given me way too much cash, claiming it was payment for the therapy I was providing to the gang, but it was definitely not what I had expected. It was nice to feel like it truly was a job though and I wasn't completely living off of Jason.

I stopped as we passed by a sign mentioning a farmer's market, and smiled.  I use to love going to those as a kid with my mom on Sunday morning's, at least until she stopped taking me due to me needing to focus on school work.  It was one of the fond memories I had of my childhood.

"Max, do you know how to get to the farmer's market?" I asked him as he walked beside me.  He had done well at giving me space so I didn't feel like I was babysitting, while also just keeping me company as we walked the streets.

"Yeah, it's not too far from here.  You don't have to buy food though," he told me.

I nodded, "I know, but it's a bit nostalgic for me.  And I love buying fresh food anyway!"

Max nodded and we headed towards the market, taking only a few minutes before we were met with a couple rows of tables with a variety of products and the farmers standing behind them.  I walked to the first table that was mainly squash, and Max walked over to a different table on the other side: close, but not hovering.

I had bought a few fruits and vegetables and was looking at some apples when someone stood beside me. "Doing some grocery shopping?" the man asked me.

"Uh...kind of.  Just buying what I like," I replied with a small grin, picking up red delicious.

"I personally like the Granny Smith apples, they have a nice sour taste," the man continued.

I wasn't one for striking up conversations with strangers so I felt a bit weird talking to him, but I remained polite and responded, "I'm more of a sweet kind of girl."

The man chuckled, "It would seem so."

"Hi, can I have a bag or the red delicious?" I asked the woman selling.  She smiled with a nod, getting me a bag.

There was silence as I waited, and I thought he was finally done talking until I heard his deep voice once again.  "You're not one for talking to strangers, are you?"

"Well, I learned from a young age not to," I joked, but also had a serious tone as this guy didn't seem to stop.

"Smart girl, and funny," he commented.  The woman handed me my apples and I began to dig through my purse for money. "No wonder Jason likes you." I froze at the sound of Jason's name and my heart began to race in panic, now wondering who I had been talking to. The man pulled out money and handed it to the woman, and I finally looked up at him. He looked vaguely similar to Jason, same hair and nose and similarly built.  They had the same eye color, but Jason's eyes were softer while his were more intense.  "Can never be too careful, huh?" he handed me the bag.

I stood there, just staring at him.  "You paid for them," I stated as he stared right back.

"It's the least I could do," he smiled, but I could tell there was a deeper meaning to it. I slowly took the bag, but not breaking our eye contact; I didn't want to seem scared. "I admire how cautious you are," he said, starting to walk past me before stopping right beside me and leaning to my ear.  "But it can also blind you...Katie..." he whispered, sending shivers down my spine as he finally left.

I stood there, wondering what had just happened and what all of that meant. I was confused in every aspect, and I then remembered Max.  I scanned the area and spotted him paying for something before coming over to me.  He noticed my distraught look and became concerned, "Are you okay, Katie?"

I lightly nodded, "Yeah...I think I'm ready to go now."