𝙽𝚎𝚠 𝚂𝚞𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚌𝚝

"Stop moving around. You're moving the bar. Don't make us go off course," Daisuke snarled.

Startled by him, I bit my lip and tried my best to suppress the fear inside me.

We were gliding high above the ground at a moderate speed. I enjoyed the slight breeze, and used the ocean of lights below me as a distraction from my apprehending fear.

"67... 68..." Daisuke muttered and started reciting numbers like a crazy person. Not like he wasn't one before, anyways.

Every now and then, he would tilt himself to the left or right, steering the hang glider. Most of the times, I would be caught off guard by his sudden movements.

Thump. Terror gripped my heart. The sudden impact made me jolt. I let out an ear-piercing shriek, and I started to tear up again.

The left part of the wing grazed against the window of a skyscraper, but Daisuke managed to steer it in the right direction again, just as we were about to crash into the building.

"Sorry. I miscalculated," Daisuke turned his head to look at me, and frowned. His fierce stare softened as he looked at me.

I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to calm myself down. My hands were shaking uncontrollably, and cold sweat trickled down my neck, making me uncomfortable.

"I-if you were any later... w-we would've..." I didn't even have the courage to finish my sentence. What would have happened was simply unimaginable.

Abruptly, I felt a hand touching mine, sending me chills. My eyes fluttered open, only to see Daisuke pressing his hand against mine.

His hands were covered with black gloves, and they felt silky and smooth as I glided my hand against it slowly.

"Don't be scared," he said in a comforting tone. I stared at him intently, shocked.

Where did Mr Rich-and-cocky Guy go? Who is this person?

I was nonplussed. His sudden compassion made me sick in the stomach.

"I mean, if you're going to be a detective, you can't be a coward," Daisuke added.

Yup. There it is. That's Kambe Daisuke for you, I guess. Warm for a second, mean the next.

I peered into his blue-gray eyes, trying to read him, but he was always too bizarre for me to predict. It was like he could immediately manipulate his body mannerism to hide his emotions. The day I would be able to read his eyes would probably never come. Even if I could read him, I'd probably be wrong in the end anyways.

Happy?

Sad?

Angry?

No matter how he felt, he always wore the same expression, looking at me with the same eyes.

...

But there's one exception.

That disgusting cocky look of his.

That look he had as he saw Haru fall into the river.

That look he had when I got lost in that mansion of his.

That look he had right now.

Wait... Right now?

A big gust of wind gushed past me, but the glider was going at two times the speed, hurtling towards a building.

"It's going to be a hard landing. Be ready," Daisuke informed, and started to lean sideways, making the blood rush all the way to my head.

Suddenly, everything stopped. We weren't moving anymore.