Chapter 28 - Love Polygon

Previously on Her Safe Haven: Just when Winter's life was starting to come into order with Rohan and everyone else around her, new drama seemed to be brewing with the Student Council Election. Jonah lost a bet and had to partner up with the school's madonna, Leah Stewart, who had had a crush on him since a long time ago, on his campaign; and Winter found out that Dylan liked Riley, who in turn had a crush on Kai. Winter thought it was good that Dylan didn't know about Riley liking Kai, because who knew what drama would break out if he did...

"Crushing on his cousin and breaking the love of his life's heart? Wow, Dylan's going to murder Kai if he ever finds out."

Winter snapped up from her work at that. Crushing on his cousin?! 'Kai has a crush on Helena?'

Seth froze up from the middle of editing his campaign poster. Shit. "Uh— I, I mean..." he could try racking his brain up for some excuse to cover his slip-up, but even without his genius he would know that he had been caught red-handed this time.

He sighed and rolled his eyes. "Yeah, he does. I mean, he acts like this F-boy and all, but he actually has this thing for Helen." He frowned. "Don't go around telling people, now. Not even Gray. Cause' I'm pretty sure I'm the only one he told."

Winter inwardly groaned. Well, that made things complicated. It had been a few days since she found out that Dylan liked Riley, and now another bombshell had again been dropped on her head. Seriously, she was amused and honestly kind of glad to find out that that playboy of a man actually had a heart, but now this new information might put their now perfectly peaceful group dynamic in jeopardy.

She ripped out an empty paper from her notebook and started sketching a flowchart. Seth raised his eyebrows at this particularly odd reaction, but immediately understood what she was doing upon seeing a glimpse of names and arrows spread across the paper, and an arrow right in the middle of the chart pointing from Kai's name to Helena's.

'Okay, so let me get this straight,' Winter started, pointing at the first name on the paper, 'so Dylan likes Riley, but Riley likes Kai, and Kai sleeps around but he actually likes Helena.'

Seth had to hold back a snort when he saw a lot of arrows pointing messily in random directions out from Kai's name, and a bolded arrow pointing from it towards a big bold 'HELENA'.

'...But Helena likes Jonah, and Jonah likes—' she paused a bit and blushed slightly when she came to the last name, '—me. Is that right?'

She frowned and sighed when she realised the state of love affairs among their group of friends now. Seriously? 'Well, that's messed up. It's like a pentagon love here. No, wait, hexa—octagon? I don't even know the name of this shape anymore.'

Seth snorted. "Yes, Winter, it's a polygon," he sighed, "and don't forget your brother and Rose there. Their relationship is also messed up as hell," he drew another double arrow pointing from Gray to Rose's name with a big question mark in between. After a while he smirked. "But you're missing one name in this diagram. Where's an arrow pointing from you to Rohan?"

She blushed even more noticeably at that statement. 'Seth!' she smacked him lightly, pouting in a matter that he could only describe as 'cute' as he dodged her hand and laughed loudly. 'Shut up! Nothing's going on between me and Rohan.'

He scoffed and rolled his eyes at her poor excuse of a cover. "Yeah, right. No one's ever going to believe that anymore after Garrison's little stunt at the cafeteria last month. Just be thankful that none of the vicious fangirls and your brother was around to see that."