Chapter 49 - The Crossroad

Previously on Her Safe Haven: Rohan found out about Winter needing to move to St. Louis after summer and got upset, the two haven't spoken after their fight in Four Season's Hotel after the combined Lakeside-Dews party. There was still tension between Gray and Winter and the two still fought a lot. Following Caleb and Winter's conversation about Winter not coping with her deteriorating mental health, Winter ran away and sat for hours under the rain on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Jonah found her and she stayed with him for now, which made her feel better for the first time after a long time.

On the night Jonah left Helena, Kai came to Helena, leaving Riley. The entire drama of everything was currently causing a rift in their friendship group, and the others decided that it was their time to try to fix the situation.

"It's on YOU, Jonah! I don't know how you expect us to fix things now when you were the one who hurt Helen!"

Seth tried to pull Dylan back from attacking Jonah, but the blonde was unfazed, and he looked at Helena's cousin who grew up with her guiltily, apologising for the hundredth time and admitting that it was his fault.

But Tria sighed in frustration at this pointless pointing of fingers and stood up, pushing both boys to sit down. "Shut up! Both of you! We came here not to fight, we came here to try to fix things, remember?"

"Like hell I'm ever working with him again now—"

"Dylan," Seth tried this time, and the sound of the only other logical member in the group (according to Dylan) talking made him stop. And so, slowly, while still glaring at Jonah, he sat back down at the chair on Seth's dining table that afternoon, finally deciding to give the group a chance to talk.

"The only way we can resolve this is together." It was Seth again, and he addressed the other three as he said that.

Tria nodded in agreement at that. "It's true, Dylan. We're the only ones left. We need to fix things or... or maybe we'll lose them forever. Our friends. You may lose Riley forever. Maybe even Helena. They're heartbroken."

And at that Dylan was finally calm and rational as he thought. They did made a point.

But Jonah sighed then, and the sound made Dylan want to punch him in the face, but the look he gave him now was so sorrowful, so apologetic that Dylan calmed down just a little to listen to what he had to say.

"Dylan, I'm sorry. I really am. I promise I'll apologise to Helena. I never intended to hurt her. I do like her. Just Winter needs me more at this moment. She's breaking down and I need to be with her. I'm really sorry."

Dylan rolled his eyes and almost scoffed, but at least by knowing Jonah and looking at him he knew his apologies was not full of crap. "...Alright, you just do that, you apologise to her but then you stay away from her," he seethed his teeth as he said this.

"I will, I promise," Jonah immediately nodded at the chance he didn't deserve but had been given anyway. He will not screw this up. "I'd still like to be friends with you guys, because, well, we've been friends for a long time," and he tried to smile at Dylan at that, to get him to remember the good old days, but Dylan only glared away. "I really won't try anything with Helena again. I promise."

And with that final resolved look of apology, Dylan finally rolled his eyes and looked at Jonah. And with gritted teeth, he slowly nodded.

"...So what do we do now?"

With that question the rest of the group sighed almost simultaneously in relief. They didn't know they had been holding their breath. Tria then grinned at him. "That's our Dylan! I knew you'd try for us."