Chapter 30 - Coincidence?

AUTHOR'S NOTES: So... I'm back after almost a year break x_x I can't apologise enough for the delay. I have just been buried in studies and work that I have no excuses. Thank you so much for your patient wait, your votes, comments, and messages motivated me to push on with this story and not abandon it. And now I'm happy to say that Her Safe Haven is officially FINISHED in my draft! No more long breaks, just smooth sailing of one chapter per Week on Friday or Saturday from now on! :D

Anyways I hope you will enjoy the next chapters and continue to follow the book till the end (it's not long anymore!). As usual, two chapters today to make up for lost time!

Previously on Her Safe Haven: Winter and Seth worried about the 'Love Polygon' of members of their friends group liking each other, because it might break some friendships of their group (see Chapter 28 — Love Polygon for details). Winter got "attacked" in arts class as she found a cutter blade imbedded in her sponge painting set, and Rohan worried that something else was going to happen.

To her chagrin, she was wrong, and Rohan's warning held true. Something else did happen.

And this time, Dylan was the unfortunate witness to it.

PE classes nowadays had been boring, but it was to be expected during campaign weeks. Because instead of playing ball games, the too-nice-for-his-own-good PE teacher Mr Tucker let half of his period be used for Student Council candidates to promote themselves. The first fifteen minutes was spent watching the cheerleaders prancing around trying to promote their vice captain, Jolie Wilsons, for the council; so in his defence, he was just trying to save himself from a waste of time when Dylan tried to sneak out of PE through the gym's back door.

(Un)fortunately, Mr Tucker caught him just in time, and as punishment he had to return all PE equipments today to the storage room, alone.

"Your fault, dude. That's why when the cheerleaders dance, all you gotta do is just to watch them in their miniskirts. I mean, I don't know why you would want to miss that," Kai had said as he and the others left a glaring Dylan with laughters, pats on the back, and no help.

In his second defence, PE was one of the only classes that Dylan shared with Riley, so he normally wouldn't try to skip if it wasn't for the fact that Riley was absent that Tuesday.

Realising none of his friends were coming back to help him return the basketballs, he sighed.

He took the balls slowly, lazily to the storage. And after coming back from the storage room, he was ready to finally get lunch when all the lights in the gym suddenly turned off without him shutting down the power cord. He thought that that was weird, but what was even weirder was the fact that all doors of the gym had been locked from the outside.

'Shit, they locked me in...' he was about to sigh at what a bad day he was having and call someone to open the door when he realised he was really in a deep trouble now — he had left his phone in his locker.

"Oh hell no—" he had tried to force a door open, and was starting to really panic when it sounded like there was no longer anyone left outside to hear him if he shouted, when he remembered that there was a high window in the girls' changing room that lead to the backyard.

He inwardly groaned. 'Maybe I should just wait till they notice I'm missing... but it's lunch so the soonest that would be is in more than an hour— just damn it!'

Well, there was really nothing he could do now other than climbing the window in the girls' changing room to get out or call for help, then.

He sighed and pushed the changing room door open when his lazy and annoyed mood immediately changed to alarm.