Chapter 33 - Among Us

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Well, as requested, I'll be posting 2 chapters / week from now on :) Usual schedule will be on Wednesdays and Saturdays, but I'm posting early today because I'll be busy the entire day tomorrow. Anyway, it's a short chapter. Hope you will enjoy reading it!

Previously on Her Safe Haven: Winter bled after she found a cutter knife hidden in her sponge painting set, and the next week she fainted after a possible attack in the changing room. Seth and Winter worried about the state of their friendship group in midst of the Love Polygon (see Chapter 28).

In the case of the mysterious attacks on Winter, a third thing happened in a span of less than three weeks, at which point Seth thought the whole thing was getting ridiculous.

She was walking home through the school yard with Kai, Seth, Dylan and Gray. Lately Winter was barely ever alone anymore because Gray thought it good to have at least one person always with her. Because no one would dare attack her if she was always with someone else, right?

Wrong.

The group was joking about something that Seth wasn't really listening to, and Kai seemed to have pissed her off because he was shouting "Hey, I was joking, McHalen!" while Winter stomped off, walking just about ten steps ahead. Kai's laughter hollered at them and he was about to call her back — yet it all happened so fast that Kai thanked whatever instinct it was that he had as a tackler in the football team that got him to jolt out at once like lightning and tackle Winter to the ground, afterwards rolling them around so that she was on top of him, and both his hands shielded her head.

Winter got the wind knocked out of her, Gray could barely say "what the—" when a large plant pot broke with a loud crack! where Winter was standing not three-seconds ago.

After a few seconds of shock, Dylan running towards Kai and Winter fussing if they were okay, and Gray's heart calming from a near heart attack he had of seeing his sister almost crushed to death, he took one glance at Seth and the two immediately shared a knowing look. Gray gritted his teeth.

"We need to talk."

+++

"Someone is trying to kill my sister!"

The other boys looked worriedly at Gray, now pacing furiously around his room, as they tried to fill Jonah — immediately called to the McHalen's residence for this emergency discussion as the last member of their group — in on what just happened.

"What the hell was that?! This canNOT be a coincidence. A knife in her sponge, she fainted in the changing room, and now a pot just happened to fall right on her head? Someone's trying to hurt her! Someone threw that thing out from—"

"—The biology lab," Dylan said quietly from his spot on the couch, his eyes straight on the window on his right. "The pot was thrown from the window of bio lab two."

"Anyone at school from your father's rival company this time, Gray?" Seth asked, his eyebrows furrowing deep as he recalled Winter's kidnapping ten years ago, supposedly done by someone from one of her father's opposing companies.

"Another from the programming industry? I can't think of anyone else except Jonah."

"What?! I would NEVER—"

"Yes, of course it wasn't you, idiot. I know you wouldn't hurt Winter if your life depends on it," Gray rolled his eyes but reassuringly caught his best friend's concerned blue ones. He nodded. "It's someone else. With a different motive."