Chapter 41 - Fade To Gray

Previously on Her Safe Haven: Winter was stabbed by Sasha's accomplice following the mysterious attacks on her. After surgery she was still unconscious. When she woke up Dr Switzgerald said Winter's state was going to get worse. Gray still had not seen her since she woke up because he felt guilty.

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Back again with another update after an exam! Probably going to fail that one because of vaccine flu yesterday... but oh well.

This is one of my favourite chapters to write so far, hope you enjoy it! I always have fun writing about siblings interaction because I'm an only child :) It makes me feel less alone HAHA. Enjoy <3

The new week found Winter's physical conditions slowly getting better. Her family and friends took turns to watch her and accompany her, though there was always one constant who never failed to be by her side every day from the start till the end of visiting hours: Rohan.

While his siblings had gone back home to Dews, Rohan took the next week off "until Winter gets discharged," and stayed at a small hotel near the hospital. Winter supposed the school shouldn't have allowed him to be absent without leave like that, but she guessed the school wouldn't dare say anything against the owner's son.

That Monday morning they were eating breakfast together in Winter's room — or more exactly, Rohan was feeding Winter her breakfast. Winter complained at the start; she was still weak, but she could eat by herself slowly. But Rohan had insisted and so almost every meal time, when Rohan was the only one there, he always fed her.

'You know, you really don't have to stay here all week. I have my friends and family here, you could go home,' she had signed in between chews.

Rohan gave her a pointed look at that. "I have told you before: I am staying until you go home."

In all honesty, his concern touched Winter, and his company was never boring. Though she hoped she didn't impose too much on his already busy life.

"Besides," Rohan continued, gaining Winter's attention, "I don't live at home anymore."

At that Winter choked and coughed out her food, earning a concerned look and pat on the back from Rohan. "Sorry— are you okay?"

'Yes I am— you what?'

Rohan blinked at her. "I moved out of my house."

'When? Why?'

"Last week," he said, and he gave a small thoughtful pause before answering, "...because of my father."

Winter's eyes were wide and she wanted to ask more. Where did he live now? How was he living alone? Why didn't he tell her? Though she supposed last week she was also busy with her own... problems, but still.

But just when she was about to sign the questions, the door to her private ward opened again, and all the questions evaporated from her mind.

Because on the door was Gray, her twin brother, who had not came once to see her since she woke up more than twenty-four hours ago.

"Gray." It was Rohan who recognised him first, and Gray was quiet, awkwardly standing halfway through the door. Realising how the twins looked at each other and the tension that was brewing, Rohan cleared his throat. "I'll go take a walk for now, maybe look for some breakfast," he said as he stood from the chair at Winter's bedside.

And with a nod at Gray and a last squeeze on Winter's hand, he left.

Gray closed the door behind him and slowly walked towards Winter, taking the seat previously occupied by Rohan. "So..." he started, scratching the back of his head, "how are you?"