Chapter 31 - A Day of Jonahs

AUTHOR'S NOTES: I posted 2 chapters today! TWO! Be sure you don't miss Chapter 30 because it happened to some people!!!

Previously on Her Safe Haven: Winter and Seth worried about the 'Love Polygon' of members of their friends group liking each other, because it might break some friendships of their group (see Chapter 28 — Love Polygon for details). Winter got "attacked" in arts class as she found a cutter blade embedded in her sponge painting set, and later she "passed out" after PE class for unknown reasons.

For Seth, he had always wished that his life would be as smooth as the wind and the clouds. Moving peacefully across the sky, just floating lazily with no worries in the world.

Though in reality, his life seemed more like a series of drama after drama and he just couldn't catch a break.

"There she is. How're you doing, Winter? Are you better now?"

He immediately stood up upon hearing Rose said Winter's name and true enough, there she was, walking towards them with a sheepish smile on her face. 'Hey, guys. What's up?'

"'What's up?'" he almost blanched at her at that comment. "You were absent for two days and all we get is 'what's up'?"

She looked at him and blinked. 'What else was I supposed to say?'

He really did roll his eyes this time. "Telling us what happened could be a start."

She frowned. Taking out her notepad, she wrote shortly. 'I fainted. It was hot that day and I haven't eaten. That's all.'

Rose furrowed her eyebrows after reading that. "Are you sure, Winter?" she eyed the shorter girl as she took her seat across from her next to Seth, her frown deepening. Rose cleared her throat. "I mean, I just... You look okay during PE that day and not like you were about to faint, and..." she looked around and lowered her voice for her next statement. "I help the nurse in the clinic organise paperworks sometimes, and I saw her notes on you saying it was a 'head trauma'. Did someone attack you?"

"What?!" Seth's voice boomed across the canteen and he cringed immediately. Thank goodness it was still Friday early morning and the cafeteria was still quite empty.

Winter frowned disapprovingly at his outburst then sighed, shaking her head. 'Honestly, I don't know. I'm not really sure what happened myself. I can't remember what happened very clearly...' she wrote.

Rose furrowed her eyebrows. She looked like she was about to say something else when her phone alarm rang and she cursed under her breath. "Shoot. I have to run," she stood up and, tapping Winter on the shoulder, she gave her a small smile. "Just be careful, okay, Winter? And... you know, tell us if something is happening." And with that last request she rushed out.

After Rose left, Seth relaxed a fraction and tried to ask once again. "Is there anything specific you remember? Like a face, or a sound, or something?" He hesitated before continuing, "I don't mean to scare you, but it just seems kinda suspicious, doesn't it? With the cutter blade and now this."

Winter tried to think but then shook her head. 'Honestly I don't know. There was just a power cut and I think someone covered my eyes... but really, Seth, I don't know, I can't remember,' she signed, and Seth sighed but nodded at that. She shook her head once more and frowned, 'besides, there's something much more important to do. We have to tell all the girls not to tell Dylan about Riley liking Kai, remember? Love Polygon? Possible crisis?'

Seth scoffed at how trivial all those sounded now in midst of Winter's safety being in possible jeopardy, but he decided to humour her. "Don't worry about that, Winter. That should be the least of your worry now. I've told Tria and she's told Rose and they seemed to be understanding."