Chapter 40 - Prognosis

Previously on Her Safe Haven: Winter was stabbed by Sasha's accomplice following the mysterious attacks on her. After surgery she was still unconscious. Everyone was waiting for her to wake up. Rohan worried that she might not.

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Very early this week because I have exams on Monday and will not be able to update on the weekends. Next update only on the 30th or 31st of July.

At the time she finally woke up she was screaming. It was darkness and light and hell and rainbows, and the voices were back telling her she shouldn't have made it. After a few more ghosts past by with images of Sasha and the knife driving through her body, she realised that it wasn't her who was screaming, it was Switzgerald with a few other doctors, and hands were holding her down and she felt her throat coarse and she reached out trying to sign 'water!' but Caleb was holding onto her arms so tight, his face emotionless and it made her confused. Not only that, her mother was there, her face bright and she was crying, the sound so sad, and she must have been dreaming because Elijah, who she had not seen years, was also there, comforting her mom.

Her entire body was in pain. And after a few more minutes she felt sleepy again, so she closed her eyes, and the last thought that was on her mind before she drifted back off to sleep was that Gray wasn't here.

+++

The second time Winter woke up, only her family was allowed to be there. She was more lucid, because she was asking questions, and Caleb thought there was something in her eyes that told him she was not going to get up blank, quietly screeching and signing nonsense and trying to run out of the room. Yet this time as she woke up she was much more weaker than before; her body still bandaged and she was still connected to a bunch of IVs.

He, his mother, and Elijah were the first people to see her, along with Dr Switzgerald. She was lucid and she asked what happened, how she was here, and Dr Switzgerald answered everything, not once mentioning her breakdown the hour before, and the only question they couldn't answer was 'why is Gray not here?'

Because he felt guilty, Caleb wanted to say, he's been sitting outside the past day and he's feeling guilty.

But before anyone had any chance to explain she drifted back to sleep, and Caleb stayed with her for the rest of the night.

+++

The second group of people that came to see her came only on Sunday morning, and it still was not Gray. It was her friends: Jonah, Seth, Kai, Rose, and Riley, and they explained everything, including how Sasha "transferred school" immediately after the incident to Berlin, and how Winter was reinstated back as a member of the student council to replace Leah, just like how it should be.

Winter was overwhelmed by the sudden bouts of information, and she was tired and her whole body was still in pain. But she appreciated her friends' visit and that was the first time in almost forty-eight hours that Jonah and Seth could go home to sleep somewhat peacefully.

The third guest, however, took Winter by complete surprise. He came in about an hour after her friends left, and she was still weak and she was facing the other way towards the window sitting on the edge of the bed, waiting for her mother to come back with some fruits. She thought she could drift back to sleep even in that position by how exhausted she felt, yet the sound of his steps was so familiar by now that she immediately turned to look.

And he was there.

'Rohan?' the wave of her hand was so weak that she was sure that Rohan hadn't caught it, but Rohan's expression immediately turned surprised, then relieved, his eyes wide and his mouth opened, and he surprised her immediately by his next action.