Off-Road

The ride is silent. So silent that I can hear the wind howling outside of the car as we enter the preserve and head towards the city limits. 

With my head leaning against the window, I watch the trees passing by. My eyes widen however when I catch a large figure rushing alongside the car. Not just any figure but the figure of a large beast. 

A wolf specifically. 

My mind flashes back to the house fire that started all of this and the large beast that chased me away from my foster home. 

The figure turns it's head towards me, red eyes glowing in the twilight. It's canine's flash as it starts to veer towards the road. 

I sit up in my seat, grabbing onto the headrest in front of me as the beast pushes its body into the side of the car. 

"What the hell?" The social worker questions. She looks into the side mirrors, catching just the shadow of the beast as it dashes back into the forest. 

Its quiet for a few moments and I can't catch sight of the beast so I think the worst is over. That is until the headlights catch a figure standing in the middle of the road. Luckily it isn't the large wolf but the man stays unmoving as the car continues to speed towards it. 

"Look out!" I shout. 

The woman goes to steer around the male but as soon as the wheel starts to turn a large impact overtakes the entire vechile. The car shudders as it tilts on it's side, the woman shouting at me to stay calm as the car continues to skid on the asphalt. 

The car, now on it's side, is still for a moment, until it starts rocking. Dark claws wiggle their way into the gaps between the backseat door and the car. 

I quickly unbuckle my seatbelt, climbing into the front seat to get away from whatever is trying to get to me. I shudder as I see that social worker knocked out against her window. I really am on my own against this beast. 

While I was busy looking at the social worker, the beast has pried the backdoor off. It sticks its entire face into the car, the same face that has haunted my nightmares for weeks. 

A scream rips through me as it's clawed hand reaches out for me and pulls me over the divider and out the back door. It holds me up in the air, the headlights illumnating us as the male figure from the middle of the road approaches. 

Once in view, my blood drains from my face. 

Green eyes glint back at me, brown hair and pale skin the same as I remember them. 

"Glad to see you remember me Terra." He smiles. 

And standing before me is a man I have never met in person but only once in my dreams. The same man who told me he was 'waiting for me' and the same man who lead me to the nemeton while I was sleep walking. 

"It's finally time for you to free us all." 

Everything goes black before I can even process what he means by that. 

.

.

not edited