The Return

"Hey princess, why don't you smile? Come on show me them pearly whites."

I roll my eyes as I continue walking down the street, ignoring the highly intoxicated man. The sound of uneven footsteps follows me down the street. I turn my head slightly, catching a glimpse of the man still following me. He tries shouting again, his words getting caught in his throat as he throws up bile.

I snicker to myself as I quicken my pace towards the forest. I always liked Colorado, the cold was kind of comforting and it always had the best forests. Raising my chin up, my eyes search for the full moon. My irises burning under the white glow. I blink furiously trying to control the coming shift when I hear the man approaching behind me.

A warm grip on my wrist spins me around, our chests colliding in the process. The man sneers, his yellow teeth discolored by the moon's glow. "I said-" He pauses, taking another swig from his bottle, "Show me- them pearrrllllyyy whites."

I dig my long canines into my bottom lip, resisting the urge to kill him right there. I remain silent as he moves his hands from my wrist to around my waist, my skin crawling at his greasy touch. "I wouldn't do that," I growl, my voice barely above a whisper. Keeping my head down, I try to hide the sudden glow of my irises as the anger consumes me.

"Aw, come on preeetttyyy girrrllly. Let's play- It'll be fun," He slurs, "Give me a kiss."

He asked for it. I slowly raise my head, my eyes locking with his. His expression drops in a matter of seconds when he notices my inhumane change. "What the fu-" I cut him off, my animal side taking over as I dig my teeth into his shoulder. His metallic blood filling my mouth as he cries out in pain. I smirk against his flesh, the pure excitement of the kill over taking my senses.

I feel a part of myself drifting away as I continue to dig into the man. Not stopping until long after he is dead.

Raising from the mangled body, I whip under my lip. Holding his bottle in my hand I raise the glass to my lips, swallowing the entire contents before throwing the glass at his feet. "You're right." I pause, flipping my now blood covered hair over my shoulder, "That was fun."

Kicking his lifeless body to the side I continue my trek into the woods. The small smirk on my lips disappearing slowly as I remember what I just did.  I choke on a sob as I come to a halt.

I just killed someone! Tears spill from my eyes as I mourn. Not for the man, but for myself. The piece of myself that I just lost by killing someone.

"Terra?"

My head jerks up, the familiar voice reaching my ears. I whip my head around searching for the boy. "Please- no- I left. You have to forget about me." I whisper as I crawl away from the whisper.

The voice echoes in my head again, the volume increasing as I try to push it away. And suddenly- it stops.

I rise from my crouched position, thinking my manic phase is complete.

Out of nowhere a force collides with me, the energy from the force wrapping around me and filling my mind with foreign thoughts. The last thing I see as I collapse to the ground is the full moon.

I raise my nose to the air, the scent of fresh- pumping blood sending my nerves on haywire. I laugh into the wind, slicing my claws into trees as I swiftly run past them. I follow the invisible pull of the forest towards my next target. Blood lust blocking my intuition as I pursue my destination.

The world is drowned in a sea of red as I run through the crimson trees. I lurch to a stop when I find myself exposed to the world. Stranded in the middle of the road. I furrow my eyebrows, slowly approaching a sign at the side of the road. Somewhere inside of my recognition sparks at the familiar words sprawled against the wood. Quickly dismissing the thought I jump over the sign as I feel the tether to this place pull me back into the woods.