Ashes

I stare at the boys with my mouth open. My mind racing a thousand miles a thought. I'm a werewolf? A smile spreads on my lips as I flick my hands out in front of me, long claws extending from my fingertips. Stiles and Scott both jump away from me when I wave my hands around showing off my new skills.

Stiles laughs nervously, "That was fast....Why was that so fast?"

Scott shrugs in response, "I don't know, my bite didn't heal until the next morning, I couldn't even do that. I guess it's different for everybody?"

I look up at the boys again, they cringe when they notice that my eyes are still amber. I quickly blink focusing on the color of my natural eyes. When I open them again Stiles practically falls to the ground in shock. "Seriously!? You have control over that already?"

"What?"

"Your eyes! You just flicked them on and off like it was nothing!" Stiles flings his arms, narrowly missing Scott in the process.

"I wasn't even thinking about it really, it just kinda worked. I just thought about my normal eyes." Stiles squints at me his lower lip puckered slightly. He looked like he was trying to decide if he wanted to continue the argument of not.

"Well anyways we need to get you back to the hospital before people notice that you are gone." Scott says turning back towards the dingy hospital.

I groan and cross my arms over my chest, "But I feel good now." I hold out my leg and shake it lightly, "See all better."

"Ya....but they don't know that." Scott justifies.

"Fine." I mumble. Scott and Stiles both offer their hands to help me up but I ignore their offer using my hands to push off the ground. When I'm on my feet I test out my recently injured ankle before putting all my weight on it. I guess I didn't test it enough because when I did put my weight on it, I lost my balance and began falling forward. Stiles being closer to me rushes to my aid wrapping his arm around my waist to prop me up.

I glance up at him, our noses inches apart. I feel my face heat up in embarrassment at the close proximity of our faces. Stiles face turns a similar shade as his eyes land on my lips, before returning to my eyes. I gently push off his chest mumbling a quiet thank you. Behind me I can hear Scott snicker to himself, but I choose to ignore it, as I hurry towards the parking lot.

When we get back to my room I sit up right, no longer tired. After Scott and Stiles explain to the nurse who was helping me earlier what is going on, which involved a lot of yelling and hitting from the nurse, Scott and Stiles come back into my room.

"So, since your part of the...pack now we should explain some things to you."

"A banshee?"

"Yes."

"So the red head is a kanima, and her boyfriend was a banshee?"

 "Lydia, the red head, really strawberry blonde, is a banshee." Stiles rubs the bridge of his nose before he continues, "And Jackson, her ex-boyfriend, was the kanima, but he came back as a werewolf."

"Why was he a kanima?"

"Sometimes the shape you take reflects your personality."

"Ok..ok, so Isaac, Scott, Derek, and I are werewolves. Jackson is a kanima and a werewolf. Lydia is a banshee. Kira is a kitsune? And Malia is a....were-coyote? So what are you?" I point to Stiles, a single eyebrow raised in question.

"Well, um, I was something, but I'm not anymore. It's better I'm not that anymore." Stiles says uncomfortably. I glance at Scott for conformation. He avoids my gaze so I take that as a somewhat yes.

"And who's the one who came back to life?"

"What!? How did you know about that?"

"I heard you talking about her the other day."

"Kate, she was a hunter and she got killed by Peter, another werewolf. We think she got turned when he killed her." Scott chimes in.

"Was that the person you were calling earlier?"

"You know for such a quiet person you notice a lot." Stiles groans, pointing an accusatory finger at me. I shrug slightly, causing a small smile to spread on Stiles' lips before his face crinkles in annoyance again.

"No, I was calling Derek, but I just got his voicemail."

"Ok...last question. When can I leave?"

"Actually today." Stiles grins, spreading his arms wide. I laugh quietly to myself when suddenly my expression drops. "What? What is it?" I get up as quickly as I can and run to the bathroom. I hear Stiles follow behind me. I throw towels on the ground and rip the shower curtain open searching for my prized possession.

"No, no, no, no. Where is it!?" I run my hands through my hair beginning to panic. Stiles reaches around me and grabs my hands. He holds them still as I begin to calm down. I want to shake him off of me but I find that I can't. While every fiber of my body doesn't want him getting close to me, he's surprisingly comforting. 

"You started to shift." He whispers, turning me towards the mirror in the bathroom. Amber eyes stare back at me. It's a harsh awakening to the new world I'm in. I thought I was okay with this while I was still in the forest, but now. This is going to be my everyday. It was cool at first but now realizing that this is permanent. I don't know how I'm going to be able to handle this. I lift my upper lip slightly to reveal fangs where my canines used to be. Scott runs into the bathroom frantic eyes searching for the source of the increased pulse.

"What's wrong?" He panics. Stiles raises his eyebrows at me waiting for me to explain.

"My jacket. I know it's stupid, but it's the only thing I have left."

I watch as Scott walks over to a bin I didn't notice. He lifts the lid and pulls out a pile of clothes. Scott gently unfolds my jacket and holds it up for me to see. I release the breath I was holding and run to grab it from him. I bring the jacket to my nose inhaling deeply.

That's when I smell it. The ash, the smoke, the blood. Tears burst to my eyes. The thing that used to comfort me now reminds me of something that haunts me every night. The fire. No longer reminding me of my dad and family, it is now a constant reminder of the thing that killed people. The thing that I somehow escaped.

But now it seems that I will never be able to escape my past, no matter how far I run.

  ♋

A/N: Terra: the master of control. JK she's not that good- well- I won't spoil anything for you. Sorry this chapter was kinda short, just wanted to add a bit about Terra's reaction to the bite and how her comfort item, is no longer comforting. Also did you notice the little Stiles smile J (re-edited: 3/5/15)  

8/19/16