Part Two, Chapter Twelve: Custody

"What?" Charlie hissed from below her.

Fearing she might not be able to hold her much longer, Beatrice shakily teleported off of Charlie's shoulders.

"It's my brother." She repeated distantly.

"What? How? B—" Charlie said.

Beatrice's hands were shaking, and her heart was hammering in her chest. It felt too hot inside of her helmet, like she couldn't get enough air, so she pulled it off to try and catch her breath.

"B, are you okay?" Charlie said, placing a hand on her back. She didn't like Charlie touching her so carefully, as if she was something that needed to be handled easily so it didn't break.

Come on. Pull it together.

She closed her eyes and slid the helmet back on.

"No, it's okay Charlie. I'm okay." Beatrice said. She took a steadying breath, and turned on her radio. "Lin."

"B? B!" Linton's angry voice came through. "Where are you? You and Charlie just disappeared! I haven't been able to find you anywhere!"

"Lin there's a situation. You probably need to call for backup." Beatrice interrupted. "If you go to the other side of the warehouse, there's a door that leads to a room with a hatch. The hatch is already unlocked, and if you go down the ladder it leads into a hallway. We're in room 3671."

"What? B—"

"Lin, please hurry—" She snapped.

"I can hear someone coming down the hall!" Charlie said in a soft whisper.

"Lin, is it you?"

"No, but I'm on my way."

Beatrice could hear footsteps getting closer and closer, and cursed.

"Come on—"

She grabbed Charlie by the shoulder, and quickly teleported them into the other room. Charlie stumbled a bit, but quickly composed herself.

It was a large room, utilitarian, but almost messy in a way. Strange equipment seemed to just lay around without purpose, as if it had quickly been discarded.

TJ was in the center of the room. She could see him better now. He was closer.

It was nerve wracking to see him this close up, because he looked even worse than he did from the window. He looked more fragile, more lifeless. It was impossible to tell whether he was even alive. She didn't think she'd ever seen someone so pale who was still alive.

The fact that he might be dead made her dread approaching him. It sent a slimy chill down her spin, but she found herself walking forward anyway.

She laid a hand on the side of his neck, and felt the vein gently throb. She gasped, and pulled her hand back away. He was cold, and unconscious, but he was alive.

Beside him there was a small metal table, with a tray on top. Something familiar quickly caught her eye. A syringe, filled with a strange substance; neon green and gel- like in texture.

She surreptitiously pulled the long range teleporter from her belt, and stuck it inside. It zapped away in an instant.

She had asked for it to be programmed to transport items directly to Charlie's apartment. She had thought it would be useful if she ever had to be gone for more than a day at a time, so she could send Charlie letters.

It seemed like it was a good choice.

"Is he... alive?" Charlie startled her by coming up behind her.