Chapter 9: Kendra Sellers

"I can't believe I did this

"I can't believe I did this. I can't fucking believe I did this. I'm terrible. I'm the worst daughter probably ever. I've even disappointed my idol. I'm literal human garbage, truly the lowest of the-"

"Can you wait until we're on the ground to mope?" Beatrice said. "I'm trying to concentrate on flying this thing and your constant whining is very distracting."

"Sorry." Charlie said as she trembled and squeezed Beatrice's waist. "This is a lot scarier when I'm not blindfolded. I think it's exasterbating the anxiety I feel about doing this."

"Well- just try not to move around too much."

"Are you sure no one can see us?"

"Yes. We're invisible."

Charlie looked down at her feet, but she could see them perfectly fine. She could see Beatrice as well. Even though her father's company made cloaking devices all the time, Charlie still wasn't very sure how they worked. In fact, this was first time she had actually seen one being used in person.

The ground below them zipped by so fast that Charlie couldn't even really make out where they where. She could only judge by the derelict, but tall buildings that they were somewhere south of New Atlanta, and probably heading further out of the city.

"Are we leaving the city?" She asked.

"Yes. I want to get a little ways away from the search effort." Beatrice said.

Charlie nodded and pressed her face firmly into Beatrice's back, not wanting to see any more of the scenery rushing around her for fear of throwing up.

Instead of panicking out loud, she settled for having a mild anxiety attack in the comfort of her mind.

They came down in a dirty ally way that smelled like piss and old garbage. Charlie had calmed down a good bit, and her heart was no longer threatening to pound it's way right out of her chest.

"That was pretty scary." She said.

"Yeah, it's actually pretty dangerous." Beatrice said with a little bit of a laugh. "A lot of people kill themselves with those things. I'm surprised your family's company hasn't been sued about it before."

Charlie was quick to reply.

"Oh, we have. A lot of times actually."

Beatrice looked like she was going to say something, but just shook her head instead.

"Nevermind- follow me."

She ducked behind a dumpster and Charlie reluctantly followed suit.

Beatrice crouched down as she removed her helmet and fished around in her bag, pulling out two small, triangular devices. She handed one to Charlie, and pressed the other to her collar bone.

The device beeped twice, and Beatrice's entire body flickered briefly. Suddenly, it was like a different person was there. Her skin was warmer, her eyes were blue, and her pale blonde hair was now dark brown.