Chapter 28: ...Happily Ever After?

Charlie sat in front of the mirror in her bedroom room, combing a part into her freshly cut hair. Well, she had combed a part into it a full half hour ago. At this point she was just needlessly fiddling with it out of anxiety.

The speakers in her room chimed, letting her know somebody was ringing for her. She told the room to answer it.

"Charlie?" The voice of her driver, Shawn, filled the room.

"Yes." Charlie said, still fiddling with her hair in the mirror.

"Its 11:30. You scheduled your pick up for 11:00. I was worried since you haven't come down yet."

Charlie sighed and put the comb down.

"Yeah, sorry, I just got distracted. I'll be down in just a second."

"Okay. Good to hear."

The intercom system clicked off and Charlie looked over herself in the mirror once more before heading out of her room.

Charlie opened the passenger side door, and saw a bundle of a dozen dark red roses sitting in the passenger seat. She picked them up, and slid into the seat.

As soon as she was buckled, shawn took off.

The ride was quiet for a while. Charlie simply looked out of the tinted windows, at the shadowed silhouette of the city and fiddled with the black ribbon wrapped around the bundle of flowers.

With the media circus that had been going on the past two days, Charlie thought it was a miracle that they weren't being tailed the paparazzi yet.

"I heard your father is upset about that you're going to see her." Shawn said eventually.

Charlie bit her lip, and touched the petal of a rose.

"I'm old enough to make my own decisions." She said.

"I'm sure he's just concerned." Shawn said. "There's a lot of tension right now. A lot of danger."

"Sure." Charlie said. "I'm aware."

While nobody had followed them, it didn't really seem to matter. There was already a crowd of reporters outside of the hospital, no doubt waiting to be the first to update on Shadow Witch's condition.

Thankfully, Shawn was able to get Charlie in through the back.

As soon as she was in front of Beatrice's hospital room, Linton stepped out.

"Oh, hey." He said.

Charlie gave him a small wave of her fingers.

"Hey." She said. "Is she awake yet?"

"Not yet." He said. "But she should be soon. The doctors lowered her medication earlier this morning."

Charlie nodded and moved to walk past him, into the room, but Linton grabbed her by the arm to stop her.

"Hey, don't tell her about her mom yet. I'll wait until they discharge her to break the news to her."

Charlie bit her lip. She doesn't really want to keep anything from B, but she also understood that telling her something as upsetting as the fact that her mother had escaped custody in the confusion after the bomb would only upset her.

Hell, it upset Charlie. But she thought Beatrice was dealing with enough at the moment.

"Don't worry. I don't want to scare her." Charlie said with a nod.

Linton nodded back and stepped aside, patting her on the shoulder.

Charlie walked into the room, and shut the door behind herself. She wrinkled her nose. She had always hated the sterile, medicated scent of hospitals. It smelled like waiting around, and sickness, and worry, and cafeteria food.