Chapter 27: Final Showdown

Charlie screamed much louder than Beatrice. She screamed again and again, and thrashed wildly underneath the crushing weight Night Thief's boot. She shouted every single curse word her brain could think of, and strung together every combination of insults she could put together in the midst of her rage.

     But it wasn't enough. It didn't matter how angry she was. Night Thief was stronger than her. 

     She gritted her teeth, her eyes stinging as tears of anger and frustration threatened to spill over.

      No. I was supposed to save Beatrice. I can't let it end like this. 

       Charlie took a slow and steady breath. Her hands wrapped around Night Thief's boot, and she readied herself. 

      Then, in one swift movement, she twisted to the side while pulling Night Thiefs foot out from under her with all of her strength. The older woman landed against the concrete with a yelp of surprise, and Charlie stumbled back up to her feet.

      When she took in a deep breath, she could feel a painful soreness in her ribs.

       Charlie watched as Night Thief tried to pull herself up, wondering how she could possibly take down someone so much stronger than her. But before she could figure it out, a copper colored blur shot past her.

       She watched, her eyes wide, as Linton struggled against the villain, trying to pin her arms at her sides. 

        Fuck. I wanted to do that… 

        ...wait. Beatrice!

       Charlie spun around, suddenly a lot less concerned about proving to everyone that she could beat up an international terrorist and a lot more concerned about whether or not Beatrice was okay.

      She spotted her leaning against the wall. Her breathing was heavy, and her left arm dangled limply at her side, the upper portion of which was bent at a nauseating and unnatural angle. Charlie ran to her. 

      "B!" She shouted as she reached her, taking her face in her hands. "Are okay?"

      What a dumb question you big dumb idiot! Of course she's not okay! 

      "... I'm fine…" she gasped out, straightening up. "Just help me get back over there so I can fight!"

      "B, you can't be serious!" Charlie said with an incredulous laugh. 

       Beatrice angrily drew her eyebrows together.

       "What?" She hissed.

        "Your arm is broken!" Charlie shouted at her. 

        "So? I have another one." Beatrice said. "Besides, it doesn't even hurt that bad." 

        "It probably doesn't hurt yet because you're in shock or something! I'm taking you down to those ambulances!"

       Beatrice jerked away as Charlie attempted to grab her, whimpering in obvious pain as she did so.

       "What if they shoot at me, Charlie? I'm a runaway prisoner!"

       Charlie chewed on her cheek. She had a point. Not only was she technically still a fugitive, they might also mistake her for Night Thief and open fire.

        "Okay, well. You sit down here, and I'll go help out Linton. Once we deal with Night Thief, then we can deal with that, okay?" 

         Beatrice opened her mouth, but before any words could even come out, Charlie was dashing back over to the fight. Linton met her on the way over, grabbing her by the shoulder and pulling her behind a concrete pillar.