Part Two, Chapter Thirteen: Maybe a Bootlicker Afterall

After a short and silent ride in the back of a cop car, Beatrice found herself being quickly and quietly escorted into the police station. She was hurried into the police chief's office where Lin was already seated in front of the chief's desk, his hands still cuffed behind his back.  Lin's eyes were trained on the wall in front of him, unfocused and dazed, it seemed. 

The officer that brought her in put her in the chair to the left of him and silently left. At the click of the door closing, she quickly turned to him.

    "What the hell is going on?" She harshly whispered to him. 

   It seemed to snap him out of whatever date he was in, and he turned to her with a frown. 

      "Wha— how would I know?" He snapped back at her. 

      "Well, you're friends with the cops!" She said. Her tone was perhaps just a bit accusatory. 

      "Friends with the— I am not friends with them!" He said. "I just work for the city and I don't know if you realize this, but so do you!"

     Beatrice wanted to tell him he was a boot licker, but decided against it at the last minute. She slouched down in her chair, feeling defeated, and glanced down. 

     "I don't want to go back to jail." She said.

     "We're not going to jail, Beatrice." 

      "You're only saying that because you've never been." 

        Before he could retort, the door slid open, and another guard walked in, pulling Charlie along with him. He quickly deposited her in the chair beside Beatrice. 

      "Hey! You can't arrest her!" Beatrice yelled to the guard. "She's rich!"

       The man ignored her, and hastily left the room. 

     "Beatrice." Lin said. 

      "What? I'm pretty sure it's illegal to arrest a rich person. Have you ever heard of a rich person who was arrested? I haven't." 

       "You know that's not true." He said. 

       "And can you stop talking to me like you're my dad who never came back after he went to get some cigarettes  or something? I don't like it and—"

      "Uhg."

       Beatrice was cut off by Charlie loudly groaning and leaning forward to smack her forehead on the desk in front of them. 

     "Charlie, don't do that. It's not good for you." Lin said with a frown. 

      "See? You sound like a dad." Beatrice said. 

      "It doesn't matter. I only have like, four, maybe five, brain cells top." Charlie said, her head still on the desk. "I can't possibly get any dumber than I already am."

      Beatrice opened her mouth, ready to tell Charlie that she easily had at least seven, and that she certainly could get a bit dumber, but she was cut off by the door opening one more time. This time it was the police chief who came in, walking fast over to the chair behind the desk. 

    Before he could even sit down in the chair, Charlie blurted out:

     "Why are we being arrested?!"

    "Smooth." Beatrice huffed under her breath.

     Chief Benson cleared his throat. 

     "You're not being arrested." 

     Beatrice rolled her eyes.

      "Right. That's why we're handcuffed, right?" She paused to bring her hands and, which were now free from the cuffs, to the front of her lap. "Or were handcuffed, in my case."

      "B…" Lin groaned. 

       "What? Like I wasn't going to pick the lock." She said. 

       "Anyway…" Chief Benson said. "You're not being arrested, we simply needed to get the three of you away from the scene for your own safety."

    Beatrice scoffed. 

     "For our safety?"

     "Yes. Federal agents showed up not long after we arrived at the scene and informed us that we would have to leave." He said. "I personally found their attitudes… concerning, to say the least."

    Beatrice was quiet. 

     "So... this was something the government was doing?" Charlie asked quietly. 

     "Well, I can't say anything for sure. I don't know that it's anything the government is doing, I just know that this means it's something that is out of the scope of what we usually deal with." He said. "I just didn't know what they would do if they took any of you into custody instead of the city." 

    Dread filled Beatrice's stomach.

    "Then where's my brother?! Did they take him?"

    Beatrice noted that Lin visibly blanched at her words. 

     "No. He's currently at the hospital. We have a security team keeping an eye on him." Chief Benson said.

    "Let me watch him instead, please!" Lin suddenly spoke up. 

    The chief looked utterly taken back by his passionate outburst, and Lin himself looked equally as flustered, but he didn’t back down or take his statement back. 

    "I, uhm—" The Chief blinked.

     "Can't we at least go see him?" Beatrice added, much more quietly. "He's the only family member I have, and you said yourself that we weren't under arrest so…?"

    "It's not exactly that simple." Chief Benson said. "We can just let you leave. Each of you have to give a statement first,  and the process might take several hours, and I do have to advise the three of you to be on the lookout for federal agents and—"

   "It's fine. Whatever I need to do." Beatrice said. 

     They gave their statements, a slow and bureaucratic process which really only pissed Beatrice off even more. Eventually, they were released from custody, and we're waiting in the lobby to leave. Lin booked it as fast as he could, while Beatrice waited on Charlie so they could leave together. 

    As they were about to leave Charlie's phone began to vibrate in her pocket, and she quickly answered it.

    "Hello? Yeah. Yes. That's where I was. Why?" 

    Beatrice slowly pulled on her helmet, her eyes following Charlie as she anxiously paced back and forth. 

     "Yes. Uh huh. Okay. Right now? Like immediately? Mhm. Mm. Okay. Sure. Yes. I get it. Love you too." 

    She angrily heaved a sigh and shoved the phone back in her pocket. 

   "What was that about?" Beatrice asked 

    "I'm not sure." Charlie said, looking more stressed out than ever. "It was my dad, and he wants me to go speak to him immediately, with a heavy emphasis on the immediate part. He's even ready sent the driver over."

    "Oh." Beatrice said. "Is it about… my brother?"

     "I dont know. It's definitely about this 'incident' though." She sighed. "Sorry, B. I wanted to go with you, so I could be there for you."

     "Its fine." Beatrice said. "I don't think it will be very exciting anyway, you watching me get upset over my unconscious brother. Not much you can do."

    Charlie grabbed her hand.

    "I can comfort you."

    Beatrice flushed and pulled her hand away. 

    "It's fine. We'll have plenty of time for that later."