Chapter Twenty-Three| Jamie

After grabbing a drink from the kitchen, I ask Cameron where Lucas went. I want to know why he decided to invite Victoria. Did she tell him I beat her up? No, he would've said something earlier. Don't tell me they're friends again.

"Yeah, upstairs making out with Victoria," he says with disgust. My stomach ties up in knots.

"What?" I'm hoping I misheard him.

"I don't know what he's thinking about getting back with her. But you like Lucas, right." Do I make my feelings that obvious?

"How'd you know?"

"I didn't, I was just guessing. I'm sure Lucas likes you back. It's just Victoria is a great manipulator. If you told him how you felt, he'd dump her." I shake my head. If he's wrong, then I make a fool out of myself and possibly mess up our friendship.

My ears start ringing, and the walls start closing in on me. My lungs don't seem to be giving me enough oxygen. I heavily breathe running through the crowd of intoxicated people and out the front door. I take a minute and sit on the curb, resting my chin on the top of my knees. Counting to ten, I take long and slow, relaxed breaths.

I didn't even realize I was crying until my salty tears hit my top lip. Getting up, I turn towards my house. I can't face Lucas right now. The way he talked about Victoria made me believe he'd never get back with her.

I was stupid to think this bracelet meant anything more than a nice gift. Frustratingly pulling the charm off my wrist, I put it in my back pocket, not wanting to look at it. Lucas doesn't love me as he does her, and I have to face it. Just not at this moment.

Walking down the street, I gaze up at the twinkling stars. A dog barks in the distance, as the branches of the trees wrestle from the strong cool wind. Goosebumps raise against my arms as my teeth chatter. It was dumb of me to rush out here with no coat. It's freezing, and I'm wearing only a thin white sweater and mom jeans.

A car honks at me, and I jump at the sudden sound. The vehicle looks familiar. As it drives up next to me, I notice it's Rider. He pulls his window down and grins.

"What are you doing out here?" He asks, resting his arm on the side of his door.

"Needed some fresh air. What about you?"

"Was going to the party you didn't invite me too." He gives me a smug grin. I explain that Lucas hates him, and it was a party for him and his band.

"The party wasn't all that. Let's go for a ride instead," I suggest wanting to get away for a bit.

He nods, and I get into the passenger seat. I text Cameron to keep an eye on things since he's the only sober person there.

I turn on his radio, and an old song perfect for a drive on the road comes on. I hum along, tapping my fingers in my lap. The faint smell of weed lingers. Maybe I should ask if Rider has any left he's willing to share.

"Why'd you leave your party?" He asks minutes later.

"Lucas is getting back with Victoria," I mutter.

"By the way you broke her nose, I'm guessing you're not too thrilled about that," he chuckles. I almost forgot he saw us fight in the library a couple of days ago. I never did ask why he was with her in the first place.

"Are you and Victoria close?" If she's slept with him, Lucas might not want to be with her.

"Yeah, she's like my sister now." I raise an eyebrow wanting him to elaborate. Victoria moved back because Rider's dad remarried Victoria's mom.

"Do you think she's manipulative?" Cameron said she is, but I want another opinion.

"Hell yeah, she already has my dad wrapped around her finger."