Chapter Eight| Lucas

Oh, fuck, why did I say that?

I'm such an asshole, why did I say that to her? When I return with the pie, Jake asks what happened, and I shrug. For the rest of the night, Jamie and I stay quiet. We didn't even look at each other.

When I get home, I decide to call Austin because he is a wonderful listener. I tell him what I said to Jamie and start to pull my hair to keep me from screaming at myself. I think it was my rage bubbling up at how she just so quickly flirted with my brothers. I still felt terrible because I didn't mean anything I said. Yes, I was annoyed, but I didn't mean to go off on her.

Before he could answer, Cameron came in. Mutter something about putting his stuff away. Then he disappears upstairs.

"You said that to Jamie, that's crazy. I thought you had a crush on her."

Why does he think I like Jamie? I barely know her.

"What?" I raise a brow.

"Dude, it's obvious to everyone that you like her, we have eyes."

I'm slightly confused. I don't believe I look at her in any way; I'm not even sure if we're friends.

"Okay, what's happening?" Cameron interrupts, taking a seat in the bean bag chair across from me.

"Just discussing how we know, he likes Jamie." He nods in agreement.

"What do I do that makes you think that."

"Dude, I saw you sniff her hair," Cameron points out.

Damn, he saw me. I tell them I don't have a crush on Jamie, and they don't bring it up again. Austin gives me advice that I should distance myself from Jamie for a few days before talking to her. I want to apologize, but I think Austin right. She might still be pissed at me.

***

Five days pass since I've last talked to Jamie. I think I gave her enough time. I won't bother her today because I don't want her first day to be terrible because of me.

I had gotten to school at eight o'clock, and the dorm room looked the same as always with the band posters, guitars, and the little recording studio we made in the back. It's nothing crazy, just some soundproofing on the walls, two amps, and a couple of mic stands. Our computer is a couple of feet from it, and we use it strictly for recording. What we record is pretty good, but for our EP, we need to record in a real studio. The boys come in, and I'm glad Micah and Cameron are my roommates. A few moments later, there's a gentle knock on the door. Dean Beyer smiles as she stands in the doorway.

"Morning, gentlemen, I would like to speak to Mr. Cross alone." We all had shocked faces, but Micah and Cameron left anyway.

"Am I in trouble?"

"No, I just want to inform you that you are assigned to show a new student around campus here the dorm building they are staying in. At nine, you need to show them around their schedule should be in the folder as well."

After that, she left, and Cameron and Micah came back in. I forgot earlier this semester I signed up to be part of the welcome community. I never had to give anyone a tour until now. I tell them what she said and look in the folder she gave me. I think a page is missing because there's no physical information about the new student like their name, gender, grade, etc. All it says is that there in the Phoenix building in room 104 and their schedule. I notice this person has the same schedule as me as well.

"Isn't the Phoenix buildings one of the girls' dorms," I ask both of them, and Cameron nods. So she's a girl, but that's all I know. Micah suggests I should leave now since it's almost nine and the building is on the other side of the campus.