fourty seven

Elle McBriar,

I opened my eyes to see myself on the floor, a body on top of me.

Paxton was on top of me, covering my body. I looked over at Mason who fell to his knees.

Still with the gun in my hand I shot
him three more times, "You, stay dead. Piece of shit scum of the earth." I hissed to Mason's dying body.

Paxton relaxed against me, knowing that I was okay, "Can we go now please?"

He nodded and slowly got up, lending down a helping hand.

I cried out in pain as I leaned on my other hand, forgetting it was broken.

Everybody else who had tried to attack us was dead. Shot dead by me or the guys.

I was pretty proud of myself.

"First- we find a car. We need to get home and I am not walking." Alex scoffed, looking down at his bloodied shirt.

But the first task was finding the way out, which wasn't exactly easy.

We had to climb 4 flights of stairs which is difficult when you've got 3 starved, broken, bleeding and dizzy teenagers.

We found the exit and I almost kissed the ground. It was about lunchtime and I felt my stomach grumble.

I was so worried about getting out that I didn't even focus on eating. Or drinking for that matter. Which reminds me, I haven't peed in a while...

"What do you think these belong too?" Paxton smirked, holding up a pair of
keys. He clicked the button a few times before a car beeped and we made our way too it.

"Who's driving?" Alex yawned, "Not
me." Paxton said quickly, glancing at me. I glared at him but nonetheless jumped in the drivers seat anyway.

"You owe me." I said. He laughed and settled in the passenger seat.

* * *

After an extremely long drive home and an excruciatingly boring conversation about navigation, I saw the windy road I'd become so familiar with, and come to love!

"What do you things gonna happen?" I asked quietly, "They probably would think we're dead." Alex said.

"Dark dude."

I pulled into the driveway, turning off the engine and leaning into the chair. I'm nervous to go in, I don't want too.

"I don't know what y'all are doing but I want to see my girl, my kid and my brother!"

We hopped out after him and entered the house, "Honey I'm home." Alex joked.

Immediately, everybody rushed into the foyer and screamed.

There was lots of jumping up and down, screaming, crying and questions.

We answered them all after giving the worlds longest hugs.

"We thought you were dead." Penny sobbed into my shoulder, "We were as good as dead honestly. I thought we'd never escape."

It was nearing dinner time and I felt sick to my stomach. Mainly from the not eating and repeatedly being beaten.

"Why don't you guys stay here tonight? It's safer and easier while you guys get your recovery back on track." Elaine smiled.

I shrugged, looking to Paxton.

"We appreciate it but, I think we wanna have some time alone. Breathe, get our lives back together again."

Megan was fixing up my broken hand while Alex held his son in his arms, almost crying.

"How long were we gone?" I asked in a small voice.

They exchanged glances, "Uh- a week." Penny said in a small voice. I looked down at my feet and sighed, feeling tears brim. I pushed them away and smiled, "Guess we better get things up and running again!"

"I'm going to head home and have a shower." I said wearily, standing up off the couch and opening the door.

I cradled my broken hand and whimpered at the soreness of it. It ached profusely and I hoped it stopped soon.

The stones hurt my sock-clad feet. Which reminds me, my feet feel like cardboard after being in these socks for a goddamn week!

I entered my home and relished in the silence, smell and peacefulness. It smells
like Paxton when you first walk in and I am absolutely loving it!

After my shower, Paxton had his and I flicked on a light in the hall and kitchen, getting ready and attempt to cook
some food.

"Pax, what do you feel like to eat?" Honestly, the smell of all food makes me want to gag, "Whatever you want sweetheart, I don't mind."

He brushed a strand of hair out of my face
and tucked it behind my ear, smiling down at me.

He had a bruise on his cheek, a cut lip and a swollen nose, "You look all cute so puffy like this." I teased. He blushed, "At least I
don't look like I was run over by a truck and then caught on fire." He joked.

I slapped his chest.

Moving slowly to the fridge, I pulled out some cold leftovers and heated them up on the stove. It's always better preheated one the stove then in the microwave.

Sitting down to eat, I twirled my spaghetti around my fork and played with it. Paxton looked up at me, sauce on his chin.

I wiped it away with my thumb and he grinned. But his smile soon faded, "I know this is the wrong time to say it but- I'm so sorry." He said.

"Why are you sorry? You didn't do anything?" He sighed and put his fork down, "Because now I understand the pain you felt when you were with Tyler and Jared.. being all alone. It sucks."

I stayed quiet, "At least we made it out alive." He smiled back.

"Can we go to bed? Please? I'm so tired." He nodded, "Good. I'm so tired too."

He held out his hand and I took it, slowly limping up towards the stairs and into our room.

I re-bandaged my broken wrist with a softer fabric and then let it be so it wasn't too thick when I was sleeping.

Although, when I tried to fall asleep, all these memories kept flooding back.

Being trapped them, hung, beaten, tortured, used as a human punching bag.

Paxton started to toss and then in his sleep, mumbling a bit. I glanced over at
him. My head was leaning against the wall, the coolness of it keeping my neck
cool.

He started to shake and then I poked him, "Pax?" I whispered. He didn't move.

"Paxton?" He shook his head and mumbled a 'no'.

I nudged him again and said his name. His head shot up and he scanned my face, before gripping onto my body.

"You're okay!" He cried, hugging me, "Yeah, I'm okay? Are you okay?"

He nodded, "I had a nightmare." I said, "It's okay. It's not real."

He explained to me that in his nightmare, I had died and that my body was being used for zombie parts.

I felt physically sick.

Paxton still has his iron grip on my body as I raced out of bed and to the connected bathroom.

Spilling my guts into the toilet, I found it hard to breathe.

* * *

no. she's not pregnant.