five

Elle McBriar
May 2nd, 1 year and 159 days since the first zombie report

It was mid-afternoon when everyone decided to get out of bed. 

My first thought was to check on Megan, who I could hear in the kitchen.

"You shouldn't be walking around." I said to her, she was standing by the sink.
"What'd I tell you?" Alex ordered, pulling out a chair.
"Doctors orders, come on." I smirked. She rolled her eyes and took a seat, smiling at the baby in her arms.

"I was just getting some water, everything hurts so I wanted to take meds." 

I got a glass of water for her and she thanked me silently, "So, have you guys thought of a name yet?" I asked. She shook her head, "We can't decide. I came up with one and Alex came up with one." 

I shrugged, "Why not combine them? Like make a first and middle name?" 

"We tried that, but Michael and Jackson don't really go together." I snorted at that comment as I made myself some breakfast. "Does Riley know about him yet?" Megan shook her head.

Just as I turned around, a loud gasp was heard from the doorway. I looked down and saw a tiny figure with his mouth wide open, "Well, he does now." 

Riley walked over to where Megan was and climbed onto the empty seat beside her, keeping his eyes directly on the baby. "Baby." He whispered gently, looking up at me, "Can I hold it?" He asked, I crossed my arms over my chest, "Ask Aunt Megan, it's her baby." 

Megan nodded her head, "Be very, very careful. He's not even a day old yet."

Riley's eyes went huge, "He's a boy?" I nodded, "Oh my goodness." I can tell these two are going to be best friends. And I can't wait!

Megan was holding onto the baby as Riley held his head. He was stroking his little tuft of hair, "Is he sleeping?" "He hasn't opened his eyes yet." Megan smiled. "Do you think he has your eyes of Alex's eyes?" He asked, "Well Alex and I both have blue eyes, so he might have blue eyes."

Confusion washed over his face, "But I have brown eyes." 

"It's called genetics. Alex told you about that remember?" "Oh yeah." 

After Riley made a big fuss over the baby and went around telling everyone about genetics, he sat down at the table and ate the lunch I made him. He suggested we call the baby 'Riley Junior' and I told him we'd think about it.

"Hey, where's Gage?" I asked Paxton, who was coming in from outside. He shrugged, "I think he went with Penny to get some more groceries. We're running low on toilet paper and stuff like that." He kissed my cheek before walking his sweaty body up the stairs.

I've been strictly told I'm not allowed to enter the backyard until my birthday. Which is May 19th. So I'm very eager.

"When will they be back?" I called after him, "I don't know, why?" He called to me, "I need to ask Penny something that's all." 

He shrugged, "Wanna join me in the shower?" He wiggled his eyebrows at me and I smirked, "No." He pouted and left me alone downstairs.

* * * 

I was sitting in the living room halfway through another book when I heard a car pull up the driveway. I heard the squeal of brakes and then footsteps pounding up the gravel driveway. I panicked for a second but then I saw a wift of strawberry-blonde hair and realised it was Penny.

"Hello?" She called out. "Hey, in here." I said, closing my book. I stood up and walked over to her. My smile faded immediately as I saw the tears in her eyes, "Hey, why are you crying?" I asked, grabbing her shoulder, "Are you hurt?" I asked, assessing her all over, "Not me. G-Gage. Hurry, please. It's bad." 

I felt my heart sink into my stomach as I caught my breath. My feet moved before my brain as I felt myself hounding down the driveway. I rushed over to the car. I screamed at the top of my lungs as I saw blood dripping down Gage's shirt.

But it was black blood.

My body started to shake as Penny let out a blood-curdling scream.

"It was red before we got here. Oh my God Elle, please help him!" 
"What's going on?" I heard voices, "It's Gage. Oh my God, we need to get him inside. Hurry!" 

Tears were blurring my vision as I pulled open the passenger door and stuck my head inside. "Gage. Gage, can you hear me? Gage!" I held his face in my hands and tried to fiind any signs of life. I held his wrist, "Oh my God- he's breathing. There's a pulse, but it's light. We need to get him inside, now!" 

Alex and Paxton looked at Gage with a fearful look. They were frozen, "You need to help me get him inside now, if you want him to live." I snapped. They went over to him as I rushed inside with Penny. 

"MEGAN!" I screamed.

I pushed everything off the kitchen table as the scurry of footsteps got louder. "What's going on- oh my God!" Megan screamed. 

Gage was placed on the kitchen table, blood covering the boys hands.

"Penny, Megan, get them out of here, please." I said, pleading at them. Penny took Paxton's hand and led him outside while Megan convinced Alex to help her with the baby.

I grabbed Gage's wrist again and prayed for a pulse. It was there, but extrememly unsteady, "Penny, get in here!" I screamed. She rushed inside, "What?" 

"I need you to tell me what happened." 
I looked over at her, she whimpered and looked down at Gage, "He- he was bitten." 

Her voice was barely above a whisper but I heard it. My blood ran cold and I felt my face pale, "What do you mean?" I said shakily, "We were in a part of Washington we'd never been before and- we didn't check thoroughly enough and- it came up behind us and it-"

He couldn't finish her sentence. Her lip quivered, "What can I do to help?" She said, "I need you to get me scissors and then I need you to leave."

She did as I said, "Is he going to be okay?" Penny asked from the doorway. I didn't answer her.

Because I hate being the bearer of bad news.

* * * 

hi :(

i cried writing this.