eight

Elle McBriar
May 3rd, 1 year and 160 days since the first zombie report

I woke up before Paxton.

It was only early morning. Like, still dark outside kind of early.

He was still wrapped in my body as I held him close. I didn't want to wake up today. I wanted to stay asleep the whole day.

Ignore all the problems we're about to face. Saying goodbye to Gage is one of the hardest things were ever going to have to do.

He stirred in his sleep, mumbling little things here and there. I ran my hands through his hair, twisting the strands around my fingers.

There's a deep pit in my gut which is telling me this is my fault. I know Megan told me it's it my fault, but I can't help but blame myself.

I felt myself get angry. How come the zombies are still around? We killed them. All.

Either something went wrong and they're still roaming the Earth... or something else happened. Because this is weird.

I closed my eyes to try and get some
sleep, but every time I did, I couldn't get this buzzing noise out of my head.

It was like a buzzing-vibration.

I hear it every so often, but don't really think anything of it.

I felt fingers brush the exposed skin on my stomach and I shivered, glancing down at Paxton.

He seemed to still be asleep, but the fluttering of his eyelashes said otherwise.

"Morning." I whispered, kissing his forehead. He grumbled, turning so his head was smooshed into the pillow.

"How're you feeling?" I asked him. I'm not expecting a reply, I just want him to know I'm here.

Of course he didn't answer, but his arm did tighten around me. So I'll take that as something.

I started to get out of bed, feeling cold when his arm slipped away from me.

I sighed, hopping across the hall to the bathroom. I inspected myself, frowning at the deep circles and pale skin.

There was a faint but red scar outlining my neck from when I was electrocuted. Every now and then I think I'm being electrocuted again because my hand instinctively goes to my neck, but I realise I'm not and it's just a habit.

I flipped on the shower and stepped into the water. Cringing as the water turned from cold to hot.

My hands were shaking slightly as I reached them around my head, lifting up my hair so the water hits my neck.

I blinked once and looked down, gasping as bloodied water pooled at my feet.

I stepped back, almost slipping before regaining my strength and holding myself up. I looked down again and the water was clear. Am I hallucinating?

Rubbing my eyes until I see stars, I'm startled as a black figure appears in the bathroom. I wipe away the condensation as I realised it's Paxton.

I breathed a sigh of relief and open the shower door. He doesn't say anything, just comes inside with me and stands against the wall.

I reach my hands up, snaking them around his neck. He doesn't flinch away so I bring myself closer. "You know I'm here, right. If you want to talk. Or, y-you know, not talk." I chuckled dryly.

A tiny smile made its way to his tired face and I felt my mood lift slightly. "I'm not going to push you. But we have a therapist and the house." I said.

I could tell he was listening by the way his eyes were focused on me. "But I love you Paxton, and I hate that you're hurting. But just know that if you need anything, I'm here okay?"

I could feel tears threatening to fall again but I blinked them away. I need to be strong.

For Paxton.

His hands went to my waist and I closed my eyes, feeling safe at his touch. "I love you." He mumbled.

"I know."

* * *

For the rest of the day, it was silent.

No one came out of their rooms, no one spoke, no one did anything.

Paxton was asleep upstairs as was the others. I went and checked on them every now and then, to see if they needed anything.

Riley apparently snuck into Penny's room early this morning so she wouldn't be alone. Which I found adorable.

None of us need to be alone right now.

I've been standing outside the kitchen for almost 10 minutes now, contemplating if I go in or not. I'll need to get some sort of food stuff ready or we'll all go hungry.

I eventually pushed the door open and almost cried at the sight. The sheet was blood soaked, sticking to Gage's skin.

It had already started to smell. Which means, if we don't get him out of here soon, we're screwed.

I stood in-front of his cold body, tears welling in my eyes.

"Why'd you have to go Gage? We can't do this without you."

"Aunty Elle?" I heard a small voice from behind me. I spun around, seeing Riley.

"Hey bud. What's up?" I asked, rushing over him so I can push him out of the room. "I'm hungry." He said. I nodded, "I know. I'm just going to get breakfast sorted now. What do you feel like? Sandwiches, crackers?"

He was looking behind me and I tried my hardest to block his vision, but eventually he'll ask questions.

"Why don't you wait here and I'll grab breakfast. Then we can go outside and talk, yeah?" He smiled, "Okay."

Meeting Riley outside with two plates of warmed toast with marmalade, we sat on the wooden deck, an icy breeze passing through us.

Riley sat between my legs as he ate his breakfast, keeping himself warm against my body heat.

"What happened to Uncle Gage? Why is he not coming back to us?" I choked, "Um, I told you last night, remember?"

He nodded, "I know. But I'm confused. Is he dead? Alex won't tell me."

I sucked in a breath, "Yes, Uncle Gage is dead. The zombies got to him." Riley stomped his foot, "Stupid zombies."

"Yeah, stupid zombies."

Suddenly, I'd lost my appetite.

* * *

hey
hope you liked this chapter :)

sorry it's kind of boring but i promise it gets better.