twenty four

Elle McBriar
May 15th, 1 year and 172 days since the first zombie report

I sat outside with my head between my knees.

My mind has been so busy lately that I don't have time for anything else.

Riley's been up crying, his new teeth are coming in. Megan's baby has been crying at ungodly hours of the night.

It's so stressful living in a house with 2 children, and adults that act like children. I hate to be a bitch but I can't deal with this.

I wipe away the moisture in my eyes and lift my head up, breathing in the fresh air.

I heard the door creak open and turn my head slightly.

Alex comes out and sits beside me. I haven't noticed it until now but he looks exhausted. Light skin, tired eyes.

"You okay? You've been out here for a while?" The cool breeze was refreshing against my racing heart.

It was quiet outside. It's always quiet.

"Yeah I'm okay. Just... thinking." I smile, "You?" I asked. She shrugged, "Same. I'm so tired." He chuckled dryly.

"How's Gage?" I ask, "He seems to fine. Just restless. He's exactly like Riley was." He laughs.

I smile, "What? Noisy?"

"That... and he gets excited over boobs." I snort. Leaning my head on his shoulder I sigh, "What are we going to do? We can't live like this forever."

He doesn't say anything. Just stares into the distance, "You noticed how people seem to be turning everywhere? Every new town we go, or shop we enter, there's always another human? Like they're respawning or something."

"I've noticed. But I'm trying not to think
about it. It's scary. And I don't like scary."

We sat in silence for a while. Hearing nothing but the wind whistle.

It was nice. No forms of destruction going on. It's nice knowing that we're not being threatened. That we know of...

"I'm trying really hard to be a good Dad but I don't know if I'm doing it right."
Alex suddenly blurts out.

I look up to see a distraught look on his face, "What do you mean? Alex, you're a great father. Look at Riley for goodness sake, he's amazing. And Gage will be just as perfect." I smile.

I sends me a smile and rubs his eyes, "I'm just scared I'm gonna scree this up, you know?"

"I know, but you won't. It takes time, especially for a first time Dad."

I wrap my arms around him and hug him, reassuring him.

"Hands of my girl, Alex!" Paxton's voice echoes. I laugh and pull out of Alex's hug, rubbing his back.

"Sorry Price, were just talking. Besides, I've got a family to look after." He says, standing up and going inside.

Paxton stands in front of me and holds his hand out, "Come with me pretty girl, I wanna take you somewhere."

I take his hand and stand up.

We walk down the path that leads to the end of the driveway.

"Where are we going? And don't say it's a surprise, I hate surprises."

He chuckles, "Were just going on a walk. You and I need to find a car because I'm sick of cramming into the same car as the others."

True. It's so cramped, especially with the kids, in a 4 seater car.

We walked hand in hand along the road, scanning the area. Staying on high alert. Just because there's no initial threats right now, doesn't mean there won't be later.

"You didn't sleep much last night?" Paxton asked me after I'd finished yawning. I smiled, "I have a lot on my mind."

"Care to share?" I shrugged, "It's nothing you'd be interested in, trust me."

"If it's to do with you, then I'll always be interested." He says. I blush and nudge his shoulder, "I just think... nothings ever going to be set in stone. We're always going to be on the run. Even if we really are the last people on Earth, it's never going to be over."

He listens to every word I'm saying, "I just want to run away and never look back. Move to Germany or Antartica or something. Away from here."

He lets out a low chuckle, "Do you wanna move out?" He suddenly says.

I blink once, "W-what? Move out?" I'd never really thought about it.

"Alex and I were talking and he says that it might be good for all of us to get a separate place. Close to each other obviously, but far enough that we have our own privacy."

I'd slowed my walking down, "You've thought about this?" I asked. He nodded, "I'll only do it if you do." He said.

"I mean- we always said we'd stick together. But I'll think about it. Besides, it might be nice to have some privacy." I winked. Paxton smirked and winked at me.

* * *

We searched for a car, finally settling upon one that matches both of our standards.

"Oh I like this. This... is comfy." I sigh, leaning back into the passenger seat. The leather smelt new, and the interior was definitely something to be obsessed about.

"It's almost like this car has never been touched." He said.

The keys were gone and there were a few scratches and bumps so it's definitely been driven before, but other than that it's as good as new.

"You know how to hot wire a car?" I ask Pax, he shakes his head, "Good thing I do."

I spent the next 5 minutes picking wires apart and sparking the engine, pressing my foot on the accelerator and than the break, "She's as good as new."

"God that was so hot." He smirks.

Giggling, I buckle myself in the drivers seat, "Oh you're driving now are you?" He asks, "I always was. If you can't hot wire a car, you don't get to drive."

"We will need to get keys eventually." He said. I sighed, "We can always make some." I frown, "Too much work. We'll just raid a car dealership place til we find the right keys."

As I start the engine and reverse, pulling the gear stick and starting along the road.

"I never thought I'd ever drive a car I'd hot wired, with my boyfriend, in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. I mean- it was inevitable at first but-"

"Yeah that's a great story babe but you need to drive." Paxton said.

"What are you talking about? I am driving, the car is moving is it not?" I said sarcastically.

I noticed his anxious expression. Tense muscles, wandering eyes and furrowed eyebrows.

"Pax, what's going on?" I said to him.

"I don't want to alarm you but we're being followed. So if you could kindly step on the breaks, it would be greatly appreciated."

I looked in the rear view mirror and surely enough, a sleak black car with no license plate was following us.

"Oh shit. Here we go again."

* * *

hi

who do you think is tailing them?