twenty six

Elle McBriar
May 15th, 1 year and 172 days since the first zombie report

"And you're sure no one followed you?" I said to Elaine. We had made it back home. We walked for an hour, along the roads and up the hills.

We would've radioed but we lost them in the water.

"Yes I'm positive. I was so careful. I covered my tracks and everything." She said, frowning.

We were sitting in the kitchen, soaking wet and freezing as Elaine explained to us the situation.

I shivered, and the corners of Paxton's lips were turning blue. I threw my hands up, "I don't have time for this. Paxton and I need to get warm before we freeze to death." I said, my teeth betraying me and chattering.

Paxton followed close behind me and I took silent steps up the stairs.

I made it to the bedroom and started peeling my clothes off. I'm in a mood, and not a good one.

"What are you doing?" He asked. "Have a shower, what are you doing?"

He smirked, "I love your body." He groaned, stalking up behind me and grabbing my half naked body.

My shirt was sopping through the cadet as it left a small wet patch. My pants came off next.

Paxton's bands came into contact with my skin and I shivered because of the coldness being retracted through us.

"Pax, I'm cold. Please can we have a shower?" I sighed. I was spun around as his hungry eyes raked over my body.

"And get more wet? Mm, yes please." He smirked. I laughed at his ridiculousness as I walked into the en-suite to then on the shower.

I heard his belt drop to the floor and then followed by a rustling of clothing.

"You coming?"

"Not yet but I will be soon!"

* * *

After our... relaxing yet busy shower, we dried off and met the other downstairs.

"Hey, how are you guys feeling?" Alex asked us as we came through the door.

"I'm okay I guess." I shrugged, pouring myself a glass of water.

I flipped my wet hair over my shoulder and slowly sipped the water, feeling my throat tighten.

I haven't been eating much lately, mainly because I'm too busy too. I can't eat, sleep or do anything because my mind is occupied with everything else.

I zoned out of the conversation and peered out the window. Looking over the hills and onto the town.

Nothing had changed. It was still the sad little town that held nothing but broken memories and stop signs.

"— I guess finding our own place is out of the equation for now." I had zoned out, but tuned my ears back in when I realised what Paxton was talking about.

I turned around and glared at him.

"Until we find this threat and eliminate it, we should stay as a group." Paxton said.

Alex nodded, "But what if, even after this new threat is gone, something else pops up. You're not just a call away, you're a whole another house away- it'll be tricky."

Paxton smirked and slapped Alex's back, "Just admit new you'll miss me bro." Alex made a weird face, "Don't start with me on that gay shit bro." Paxton laughed, "But I will miss you."

Ignoring their little 'bro-moment' I excused myself to the living room.

I sat in my favorite spot in the couch, in the sun. I just lay there. I had read all the books, it didn't appeal to me anymore.

The sun shone in my eyes as I felt a headache forming from all the thinking. And the nightmares, and the not sleeping.

It's not a healthy cycle.

"I thought I'd find you in here." I heard the sweet voice of Elaine. I smiled up at her and yawned, covering my mouth with my arm, "What's up?" I said.

"Megan wants to talk to me, and we were wondering if you could look after the kids for a bit, so we can have some alone time?"

I nodded my head, "Sure. Does Alex know?"

Elaine smiled, "Alex is driving us to the grocery store to get some food. But he's gonna wait in the car while we talk."

I didn't like the fact that Alex wasn't going in with them, but I didn't voice my opinion, "Of course. I love those little guys."

Elaine thanked me and left the room. I swung my feet off the couch and headed into the kitchen.

"You-" I pointed to Alex, who's eyes had suddenly widened, "Don't leave Elaine and Megan alone in the store." I pointed my finger.

He rolled his eyes and pinched my finger, "I wouldn't dream of it. Trust me, I'll be following them."

I nodded, "Good. Now. if you'll excuse me. I've got babysitting duty."

* * *

Gage was asleep in my arms. His tiny body snuggled in the blanket and the crook of my elbow.

His hand was wrapped around my thumb before he placed it into his mouth.

The room was dark and the house was quiet. I told Paxton and Penny to give us some privacy - and quiet.

Riley was asleep in the bed next to me. Him and Gage are sharing a room, until Riley is old enough to have a room of his own. But for now, it's just easier.

Soft snores could be heard from his bed as I checked on him every so often. The bed staying completely still.

He wasn't a heavy sleeper, but he was a deep sleeper. He always looked super comfortable. Jealous.

I heard a soft knock on the door and I looked up in a daze, feeling tired all of a sudden.

Paxton smiled at me and came over.

"How's it going?" He whispered, kneeling in front of me, "It's good. They've been asleep the whole time so I haven't had to do much."

He asked if he could take Gage from my hands and I gave him to him, demanding that he hold his head.

He was pacing across the room, adding a bounce in his step as he cradled the baby. He looked so handsome, looking after the baby. It makes me wonder if we ever had kids.

"He's so cute." Pax whispered. I smiled, "He's adorable."

Paxton lay him down in his crib and then kissed my forehead.

I took his hands and stood up, leaning my head on his chest. Paxton sat down on the chair I was sitting in and pulled me to his lap, so I was comfortably sitting on his lap.

I was tired and sleep welcomed me peacefully. I closed my eyes and wrapped my arms around his neck, snuggling closer to him.

One of his hands rested respectfully on my waist, the other in my thigh, stroking the skin gently.

"I love you." He sighed, alighting tingles.

"I love you too."

* * *

hiii

i thought this chapter was cute :)