four

Elle McBriar
May 1st, 1 year and 158 days since the first zombie report

I squeezed the remaining tea from my tea bag as I opened the front door. It was getting colder as the night went on.

It's almost midnight.

I haven't been sleeping lately. I'm not overly worried about it. But I am terrified about everything else.

Every now and then, the memories of everything that happened last year comes flooding back and I almost have a heart attack. I can barely breath, my heart is beating rapidly and I sweat, so much. 

The zombies, the kidnappings, the killings, fires, everything. It paralyzes me.

I haven't told anyone because I don't want them to worry. But I hate feeling like this.
So worthless.

The only light guiding my way is the small outside light that is operated from the inside.

It casts a shadowy glow on the concrete as I walk barefoot along the path.

The swing creaks as I sit down.

Maybe leggings and a t-shirt wasn't the best option for a cold night.

I frowned, seeing a fog slowly settling along the hillside.

"What are you doing out here?" Megan asks me, smiling and waddling towards me. "Just getting some air before going to bed. It gets kind of...- blah in there."

Megan leans against the wall and stares at me, "You know, I may be pregnant and worrying about my baby. But I'm still a therapist. And I do notice things, Elle."

I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"What have you noticed?"

She takes a breath, "You're exhausted." I try to fight back, but she's not wrong. "And don't think I haven't you walking around the house and 2am."

I snort, "I get bored okay?"

"Yeah yeah."

I didn't say anything for a bit and neither did Megan. Both of us just enjoying each other's company.

I looked over at her and she had a fearful look on her face, "What's wrong?" I asked.

"I- I think my water just broke."

I stood up immediately. Looking down. Surely enough, a puddle of clear liquid was looking around her ankles.

"Oh my God." I whispered, "Oh my God!" I screamed, "Holy shit this is happening. Oh my God. Oh my God!" Megan panicked.

"Okay. Okay um, here, hold onto me. We need to get you to bed or-or the bathroom. Yeah, the bath. Okay, I have an idea."

Megan clung to my arm as we waddled inside. "BOYS!" I screamed.

Megan squeezed my arm, "Okay it's fucking hurts now." "I know, it's okay. I got you."

"What? What's happening?" They all came rushing down, Penny close behind, "Were having a baby!"

"WHAT?" Alex screamed, "Megan's water broke, so we need to move now. I need the bath, towels, pain meds and everything we prepared last week."

They all stood at the top of the stairs in shock, "NOW, boys!" Megan yelled at them.

"Right, okay!"

The downstairs bathroom was the closest so that's where we went.

"Can you get inside?" I asked.