nine

Elle McBriar
May 3rd, 1 year and 160 days since the first zombie report

I briefly saw Alex going back and forth from the bathroom and gave him a small smile.

It felt weird you know. Not talking to the people I see everyday. I understand what they're going through, but I wish they'd talk to me. Or too anyone.

I entered our bedroom and saw Paxton's still body in bed still. I bent down to his level and tickled his face.

"I know you don't want to eat, but you have too." I placed a plate of food on the floor and waited a little bit before leaving.

"Can I come in?" I asked. I heard a 'come in' and pushed the door open, slipping myself through. "I brought lunch." I held up two plates, "You didn't have too. We could've gone down." Megan said, smiling sadly at me.

I shrugged, "It's okay, seriously."

Alex has his head in Megan's lap while her hand rested on his back while her other hand cradled the baby.

"Have you got a name yet?" I asked. She nodded her head, "It's a surprise. We'll tell you in a few days time."

I left their room and left the food outside of Penny's room. She needs to be alone right now. "Foods outside Pen." I said softly, letting her know.

I turned on my heel and held onto the banister as I walked down the stairs.

I headed outside to the backyard where the washing hung on a line. I unpegged them and threw the clothes over my arm.

The sky was brewing an ugly storm and I could feel the drizzly rain splattering my skin lightly.

But the sky was painted a deep red tonight. Grey clouds with a black hue. It's beautiful.

Before it started to spit heavily, I headed inside, separating the clothes into piles and folding them into the correct people.

Riley emerged from the living room, smiling up at me, "Hi Aunty Elle." He said. "Hey bud. I've got some clean clothes for you."

He took his clothes from my hands and I watched him pad his way up stairs, taking one stair at a time so he could see.

Next on my agenda... digging a grave.

Sometimes I'm thinking about other things and forget that Gage is lying on our kitchen table. But then everything comes running back into my mind and I get chills. It never leaves.

I walked into the kitchen after making sure no one would be coming down anytime.

"You know Gage, you're a dick." I chuckled, "I can't believe you escaped normal deaths and the one thing that took you out was a zombie."

* * *

The rain was cold and icy as it covered my clothes, completely soaking me head-to-toe.

I had the shovel in my hands as I kept digging the wet dirt. The whole still wasn't big enough. Just a little bit longer, Elle.

The sky had become dark now and the little bit of light let was casting scary shadows along the path.

I was angry. All my mind was filled with was hate. Hate from everything from my past. The zombies, the people who caused my trauma.

The only warmth I felt was the hot tears that bucketed down my face. "Why'd you have to leave Gage? Why?" My voice broke and I swallowed the lump in my throat, "We can't do this without you. How dare you!" I screamed.