twenty three

ALLURA HAS NEVER BEEN ONE to be jealous.

She was always pretty understanding of the fact that she had what she deserved, what she worked hard for, and if other people had more than she did, she tended to be happy for them.

But that was when it came to stuff, to things, possessions.

But when it came to James, she had discovered a brand new side of her. She had discovered that it was completely possible to feel some sort of possession for a person.

But James wasn't hers, she wanted to make that clear in her head. They were both individuals and were free to be with whoever they wanted, and do whatever they wanted, and feel whatever they wanted. It was a fact that Allura wanted to have clear in her head, so she wouldn't stir unnecessary drama.

But as they walked back to their apartment, once more, she noticed the incredible amount of women that looked James' way, and she felt the horrible need to strangle every single one of them.

Which made her even more confused.

James and her weren't a thing.

It was obvious they cared for each other, as more than friends, and more than partners.

But Allura couldn't shake the feeling that she wasn't good enough for James.

Her life was too complicated. Her past outside of Earth. And even though she had just been relieved of a thousand pounds of weight on her shoulders, she still felt as though the whole universe was on them.

James' blue eyes had been observing her for a while, noticing the discomfort and the uncertainty in her glance the minute they stopped talking about their day. And once they entered their small apartment, he decided he would talk to her about it.

"What's wrong?" He said, looking at her the moment they were inside the room.

"Have you ever truly thought about us?" She whispered, James raising an eyebrow as he answered without hesitation.

"Always." He said, in the same whisper he had been spoken to. His blue eyes were honest, and that gave Allura even more anxiousness and curiosity.

He always thought about them? Was it good? Was it bad? Was he always thinking about what they'd be or what they wouldn't be? Did these same thoughts cross his mind whenever he was with her?

She knew the only way she would find out was by asking him. But she couldn't find the right words to tell him.

So, she improvised.

"I don't think I'm good enough, James."

"What? You're amazi-"

"For you." She cut him off, James feeling his breath knocked from his chest as he stared at the woman in confusion.

He had never thought that way about her. If anything, he felt like he wasn't good enough, and he had felt that way for years since he met her and he found himself catching feelings for her.

Why would a smart, talented, kind, funny, beautiful princess from another planet fall for a simple, poor, hurt human man?

It didn't make sense to him. But he didn't put much mind to it, since he realized that the two complemented each other in the most amazing of ways. As friends, as lovers, as partners, as assets, not matter how, it was always the two of them.