thirteen

THE TWO ASSETS HAD BEEN on the run for over a year, and Allura had been dreading this moment since the day her partner and her were reunited in the city, and they moved to Romania. She wasn't nervous, or anxious about the mission. She was eager to get it over with. She was scared of it.

        She was scared of failing and being captured all over again. She was scared of being tortured and hurt like there was no tomorrow and she was scared that because of her idea, her partner would be put through the pain they had suffered for years.

         "Bist du bereit?" Are you ready? He asked her, the woman nodding and observing the ugly looking base in front of them. The ground was covered in snow, the assets leaving their footprints in the white floor.

         "This better work."

        "It will."

        The two gulped, part of them wanting to go in but the other one wanting to walk away and never go back.

        "It's now or never, I guess." The strawberry blonde said, beginning to walk. James observed her, letting a sigh and nodding to himself before following after her.

        "Do we have a strategy?"

         "Did you forget the four hours it took us to plan just the entrance?" Allura said with a chuckle, James sending her an annoyed look. The woman smiled softly, surprising the soldier. "We're gonna be okay. They trained us to best them, and we can do it with our eyes closed, partner." James felt soothed by her words, the two hiding as a sound was heard.

        "We're already close to the base."

        "We're already in the base."

        "What?"

         The two looked around to see that they had already walked in through the front gate, that was strangely unguarded. They could see the familiar metal door that was the entrance, Allura raising her arms up and carefully pushing it open with her abilities.

        "They're planning something." James concluded.

        "Do you think it has to do with us?"

        "No."

        Allura and James quickly headed inside, knowing the base like the back of their hand. Their eyes were scanning any danger, but the deeper they went into the dark place the more they realized a very important factor.

         "They're not planning anything." James concluded, eyes wide.

         "This place is empty." Allura observed, her finger touching the dust on the wall and the equipment. "It has been for years." The two changed glances, deciding to stay alert just in case it wasn't as abandoned as they thought.

        The alien's green eyes went to the long hallway she knew so well, the memory of herself being dragged through there multiple times making goosebumps rise on her skin. She walked towards it, the two analyzing and reminiscing as pieces of memories hit them.

        She could feel her body shaking. Every part of her, shivering and twitching at the cold, the fear, the anxiousness, the confusion, the pain.

         Oh, the pain.

         Her body aches like it never had before. It felt like it was being undone. Ripped from the inside out. Destroyed.

        Her arms were trying to rip the restraints, her mind alert she concentrated on anything else but the horrible feeling of the chemicals running through her veins, becoming one with her blue blood. Her skin felt sticky against the glass, her face covered in sweat; which was something she didn't know her body had.