24

josh's point of view

it's been a few weeks since tyler and grace moved in. grace is actually going to mason's house tomorrow. it'll be strange not seeing her for two weeks now that i'm used to having her here. i've been giving her rides to and from school since i'm there anyway and i really feel like she's accepted me, which i was terrified wouldn't happen.

today, i took her and jim to the park while tyler worked. i still don't quite understand what he does (taxes? paperwork? editing? no clue), but his schedule is flexible enough that it doesn't really matter.

when we get back, tyler is cooking. it smells amazing and grace seems to know exactly what he's making.

"countdown lasagna?!" she runs into the kitchen as soon as she gets a whiff from the front door.

"indeed," tyler answers. i walk into the room and he turns to look at me, a smile on his face. "hello, my love, how was the park?"

"it was great." i come closer to him and kiss his forehead. "what is countdown lasagna though?"

"secret recipe." he winks at grace and she giggles.

"jish," grace tugs on my shirt and i look down at her. "do you wanna help me make a picture?"

"have you packed for your dad's yet?" tyler interjects, "he has some of your stuff, but i'd pack any toys you want. you can't forget your school stuff either."

"fiiiine." she stomps dramatically out of the kitchen and up the stairs to pack.

"she calls you jish now?" tyler turns to me after putting the pan in the oven.

"i guess so." i put my hands on his hips and pull him closer to me and then press a soft kiss to his lips. "i love you, tyler."

"i love you, too, jish." he smiles and wraps his arms around my neck, pulling me back down to kiss him again.

we are interrupted this time by jim jumping up on my side.

"jimothy dun." tyler looks down at him. "rude."

"jimothy?"

"yes."

by the time dinner is ready, grace is back downstairs and waiting at the table. tyler makes us all plates and puts them in each of our spots.

"the famous countdown lasagna." i look to tyler before i take a bite. "holy shit."

"josh." tyler swats my shoulder. "watch your mouth."

grace laughs. "yeah, josh."

"i'm sorry, i'm sorry." i shake my head. "it's really good is all."

"i know," tyler replies.

the conversation ends and we all eat our food. once we're done and the dishes are in the sink, grace goes up to take a shower. tyler starts some music on his phone and then begins the cleaning process.

i stand at the sink and take the sponge from him, washing the dishes so he doesn't have to. he leans against the counter next to me.

"you didn't have to do that, but i won't stop you," he says.

"i wouldn't let you if you tried. i don't want you to feel like you have to do everything," i tell him.

once i'm finished, i dry my hands and then try to make note of what song is on. 'baby, i'm yours' by the arctic monkeys plays on his phone.

"good song." i nod.

he smiles softly at me and takes my wrists to pull me away from the dishes. "may i have this dance?"

i grab they towel on the counter to dry my hands before answering. "of course."

we begin to sway in the kitchen and tyler sings quietly to me.

"baby, i'm yours and i'll be yours until the sun no longer shines. yours until the poets run out of rhymes. in other words, until the end of time."

suddenly, everything i've ever wanted is mine.

i feel like i can finally exhale, let go of everything else that doesn't matter anymore. i feel my eyes fill with tears and laugh a little as one falls down my face. "sorry."

"for what?" tyler leans forward and kisses me.

"crying, i guess. not saying anything when i saw you that day. waiting this long."

"we're here now. that's what matters." he smiles at me and it puts every sunset to shame the way he looks in the dim kitchen light.

he's still the same boy i met that summer, in so many ways. the freckles that are peppered across his face, the blush that blooms like the strawberry bushes did in the summer when i compliment him, the way his hair is always messy but never looks out of place, the way my heart feels when his lips touch mine or the way i still feel butterflies stir in my stomach when he laughs, and the way i feel about him, which is... indescribable, i think.

even if i am no longer a farm boy to him, he'll always be my summer, my night sky, and everything good about me.

"i love you, you know."

"i love you more."

the end.

(an: thats a wrap! only the epilogue is left, folks. there's a longer, much sappier note at the end of that one. thank you so much for reading. all my love as always.)