Chapter Fourteen

~•~

Amabelle's POV

The sky was swirling shades of blue and purple, a dim golden light hidden underneath. Soon the moon would be high above us, and the stars would be twinkling like gems in a sea of darkness. A cold brisk air blew around the pack as we stood outside the kingdom. United, we all felt the call.

It wouldn't be long now before our inner wolf came out in the flesh. Our bones would rearrange to fit our true form. Part of the transformation was thrilling being able to let that part of yourself unlock, the other part was horrifying because you lost control of your actions.

Glancing around, we all were crowded together, most having the same expression. My body was starting to feel tense. Growling, my wolf was assuring her dominance over me, letting me know that once the moon was up, it wasn't me in power anymore.

Swallowing, slightly nervous, I searched for Dante. He was somewhere in front of me, other pack members surrounding  him. From here, there was no comforting stare.

"The moon is almost risen..." Kamil whispered next to me.

Here we go.

Someone from farther up in the group, let out a long howl. Following his bellow, loud snapping and popping erupted in echoes, his body morphing into a wolf. Soon after he transformed, others did too, almost in sync.

'It's time,' my wolf's voice broke through. Relaxing, I gave myself over to her. Once I did that, the transformation began. An insurgent howl of agony came from my mouth as everything in my body shifted intensely. Cracking sounds filled the night, my legs, arms head, and body completely changing. The whole process was not nearly as painful as the first time, but it still hurts. Thankfully, it had also gotten faster over the years.

The other wolves around me were the typical brown, speckled brown coats unlike myself, who had a thick white coat of fur. The majority of them were bigger than the wolves in my pack too, which was startling in a way.

'Finally,' my wolf barked, eager to meet her new brothers and sisters.

All around me wolves came to greet me. We exchanged sniffs and welcoming nudges. I recognized most of them, including Bonny-Lee, Jirri, Adonia, and even Xavier.

Eventually though they backed off a little, giving me space. Then there was a long howl over all of the pack. Immediately the pack split down the middle allowing a walkway. A huge, big black strong wolf stood down the center line.

My wolf's ears perked up, and her tail wagged. Automatically she knew, this was Dante's wolf. He beckoned her with a whine. Obedient and curious, my wolf stalked forward.

When approaching, my wolf circled his, sniffing his scent, taking in his tall limbs and heavily built upper body. To say that my wolf was impressed was an understatement.

She yipped, nudging her nose into his neck in a sign of affection. 'Mate,' she whimpered in his fur.

His wolf growled very softly, caressing her neck with his nose. Dante's wolf's coat was absolutely beautiful, and he was so huge. His size alone was enough to make a small wolf like mine feel safe.

'Mine,' his wolf growled gently, rubbing his nose into my side.

Happy, my wolf yipped and bounded off into the woods in hopes he would follow her. The heavy pouncing footsteps behind my wolf were enough to let her know that he was chasing her. Playfully so, though because Dante's wolf could easily catch mine, and then the hunt would be over.

We ran and ran, the cool wind of the night brushing along my wolf's fur. The chirps of owls, the sound of leaves rustling, the moon high in the sky, flashes of darkened skies through our eyes, everything was in the grace of the night.