Chapter One

~•~

Amabelle's POV

I held my knees close to my chest as the golden yellow sun slowly crept from its slumber. Usually I wasn't up early enough to see the dawn. But today was different while I watched all the cheerful colors bloom across the sky from the window above my bed. The nerves in my stomach wouldn't stop for anything. Least of all sleep.

A quiet knock at my door brought me to my senses. When I turned around, my door squeaked open with a small flood of light. There was my little sister Josie. Awake as could be. Just like me.

"Hey," I said, giving her a genuine smile. Or at least what I thought looked like one.

She gave me a weak smile back. "Hey."

"He's not back yet, is he?" I asked her, letting some of my worry slip into my voice.

Josie shook her head slowly, her big eyes drooping sadly. The action caused a painful pang in my heart. Seeing Josie sad was rare, when she was sad everyone was sad. That's why I always tried to perk her up when things were wrong with the world.

"Hey, don't worry, come here Josie." I said, gesturing my hands out.

She trudged to my bed holding her small bear that stood the long years of toddlerhood to childhood. The bear was missing his right eye and had been sown too many times to count, but in times like these her bear is what gave Josie a sense of security. Since our father's not returning last night, Josie hadn't put it down. She clasped it tightly to her chest, glancing up at me with her warm, hopeful hazel eyes.

Grinning, I poked Josie in the side, watching her squirm with a small giggle.

"Listen, Dad is going to be here before you know it. He'll have a new story to tell just like always." I assured her, and she finally gave me her famous joyful smile.

The real one.

Suddenly I had an idea that would cheer us both up.

Josie must have noticed the bulb light up in my head for she smirked and tilted her head. "What are you thinking about?"

She laughed before I could respond however. "Playing another prank on Vergil?"

Rolling my eyes I poked her again. That creep deserved one, if I was being honest. He had been obsessed with earning my hand in marriage even though we were not mates. Neither did I wish to be his mate. I wasn't too worried though, my father didn't really think that Vergil was right for me.

Thank the moon goddess for that.

A prank on Vergil wasn't what I was proposing though...

"No silly, how about we make breakfast for Dad?" I asked, knowing that baking and cooking was also one of Josie's, even though she was only 6 years old, favorite past times.

Sometimes I would come inside from the garden and find her helping our mother make supper. She would even notice small measuring mistakes our mother would make, or request to do things herself. She was the perfect daughter in the making. I however, was falling far behind in that particular category and I was much older.

Mildly disappointing if you asked the elders...

I watched Josie's face come alive with delight at the mention of cooking. "Yes!"