Chapter Thirteen

~•~

Amabelle's POV

A bath felt refreshing after not having the opportunity to bathe in at least two days. The hot steamy water cascaded down my skin, along with the rose-scented milky soap, helping to wash away my stink. Tentatively, I applied the soap to my face, afraid of adding too much pressure.

Still sore, I winced a little. I wiped my face clean, feeling the tracks of scrapes on my right cheek where Gavina had swiped her claw-like nails against my face. My forehead crinkled remembering my pitiful ending in the fight. Part of me was scared to face the pack, in fear of what they now saw of me.

Especially now that everyone knew I was the Alpha's mate...

Shaking my head, I tried not to think about it. It was best not to, it would end up making me feel sick inside.

"Amabelle, are you in here?" I heard Bonny-Lee's voice in my room.

Fumbling out of my tub, I wrapped a towel around me and peeped out the bathroom door. She was wandering around, appalled at my messy room. I almost laughed, watching her pick up the dresses that were still lying on my floor.

"I'll be out soon," I called to her attention, her head flipping in my direction.

She frowned. "You scared the hell out of me."

I shut the door, letting out a trapped breath of air. What waited for me was a lecture from Bonny-Lee... Guilty, I sighed and stared at myself in the mirror. This place had changed me, these people had changed me. My face, even though it was a little banged up, was still the same. What had become different was the assurance of who I was. I could see that now in my eyes.

Yet I knew that the fight had been out of character. Even though I was fighting for what was mine, it should never have come to that. I let Gavina get under my skin. Which I had never done with anyone before in my old pack.

Still, I couldn't deny that despite losing the fight, I felt stronger for standing up for myself. I traced the now healing mark under my right eye. This was not a weakness, this battle scar was the mark of a warrior.

The yellow dimness in the bathroom highlighted the hue of earnestly dark brown in my eyes. I pinched my lips together. My face was a lie. My mother always told me how pure and angel-like my beauty was, and ironically I was nothing like one.

Bonny-Lee was making my bed when I came out of the bathroom. I gave a small smile in attempts of breaking the ice, but her face remained stoic and cold.

"I know that I should address you as Luna, but damn you, Amabelle. I thought I had lost my best friend." Her eyes filled with tears.

She sat down on the bed and quickly turned away to hide her face. I sighed, smiled again, and took a seat next to her. "I'm sorry Bonny-Lee, I didn't mean to scare you."

Bonny-Lee turned to me and threw her arms around me. My eyes widened for a second, only for a moment though, and then I returned her tight embrace. She sniffled into my shoulder, making no attempt to stop her cries.

When she pulled away there was a different light to her features. "I'm just glad you're okay. Jirri and I were horrified watching the end of that fight."

I swallowed and looked away. "I know I should feel worse for agreeing to the fight, but Bonny-Lee, I was defending myself."

She sighed. "Gavina should never have started a fight. It wasn't her place."

"Speaking of her, how is Gavina?" I asked because despite that she had wronged me too many times to count, I couldn't help but let a part of me feel for her.