Prologue

648 full moons ago, an alpha werewolf named Dante Reddick felt unstoppable. After his parents were murdered by rogues, he swore to build up the empire handed to him, growing his pack as he conquered land after land. Dante's pack stayed loyal through the years, only doing what he asked, and never questioning him.

However, a woman the trees whispered as Gamora Quell wasn't happy with the way he was handling his position as alpha of the Ember Wolves. He was upsetting the balance of nature and the witch feared for just how far he'd go in conquering all he wanted. Gamora even sent warnings to Dante, forbidding him to go farther.

But young Dante Reddick was very arrogant, and believed not in the supposed witch, Gamora. He continued on his path of power, trailing battles across maps. Gamora realized what she had to do to protect the people she cared for.

One day, when Dante was vulnerable, celebrating in his newest addition to the empire he owned, a large castle along with its surrounding land, she sauntered in, making Dante only angry. She called to him as he stood in front of his pack, giving him his last chance.

"Dante Reddick, put an end to this conquering! You are powerful enough as it is, and have already damaged the rules of nature."

Dante laughed at the sight of her, thinking that she could not possibly have any control over him.

"Did you come here thinking that telling me this would have any effect on me?" He bellowed at the witch, who seemed disappointed.

She quickly replaced the disappointed face with a deadly serious expression.

"No," Gamora began, removing her dark cloak, revealing her shining beauty beneath, "I am Gamora Quell, and I hereby declare a curse upon you, this kingdom and your pack!"

A bright flash of light flooded the ballroom, so bright it practically blinded Dante and his pack. Gasps and screams shook the air she continued with her spell.

"You, Dante Reddick, alpha of this pack, shall be cursed to forever remain in this kingdom and castle grounds, along with all the members of the pack!"

Such a gust of wind was sent in through the windows and doors of the castle that it had Dante on his knees. Gamora's, strong unwavering voice echoed throughout the room, the air itself feeling like it was vibrating. Dante started begging, his honor shredded, but it was quite too late.

"And unless, in 650 full moons you have not changed, and your mate has not fallen in love with you, or has not even discovered this kingdom, on the last full moon will be your final shift, and you will become a rogue, immortal, and unable to turn back into human form!"

Then the room exploded with golden light, brighter than it had been before. The witch soon vanished, leaving Dante and his pack alone to figure out what it meant for them now. They all examined each other, Dante's eyes wide with fear for the first time in a long time. He didn't know how to react, his conscious fighting to believe what had just happened. His brain didn't want to understand, and his heart didn't want to rely on the supposed love of some woman he didn't know if he'd ever meet.

"Dante," Xavier, the beta of the back reached his hand out, but Dante shrugged it away and took off, going as far as to run through the castle entrance.

However to his dismay, Dante ran straight into rogue territory. He faced the gruesome beasts bravely, fighting them as he made his way. Unfortunately for Dante the witch had not lied, and he ran right into the invisible barriers, finding himself unable to make it any farther. So, he was forced to turn back around and return to his waiting pack members.

His friends tried to help him, but for several years Dante kept to himself in his room, in denial. Eventually, feeling lost, he came out and wandered all over the kingdom, of course until he hit the limits of the land. Dante was becoming cold, and unreachable by anyone.