Chapter Twenty-Six

~•~
Amabelle's POV

I thought dying would feel more like flying.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Instead I was free falling down a dark tunnel toward a small spec of pale blue light. I wasn't scared, in fact I didn't feel much of anything. The darkness enveloping me hugged me tightly, like invisible arms embracing me. Closing my weary eyes, I rested in the pull of their warmth. I felt safe trapped in the hall of night.

When I opened my eyes again, the small teal circle was much larger, beginning to create an opening of sorts. A balmy breeze brushed across my cheeks, an earthy, crisp aroma snaking around me. It was oddly familiar and completely new at the same time. For some reason that comforted me, lulling my body peacefully.

I closed my eyes once more, stretching my arms out as I continued to fall. Moments later I crossed through the teal hued entrance. Whatever it was, it felt like a rebirth into a new body. Shocked awake, I opened my eyes gasping. My eyes took a few moments to adjust to the new pale lilac skies in front of me.

Sitting up, I realized I was lying on deep forest green grass. Sliding my fingertips through it, it felt like a million threads of silk.

"Wow," I breathed, taking in everything around me.

The lavender colored skies were mesmerizing, with shining stars dotting the limitless atmosphere. Despite all of the gorgeous stars, I didn't see the moon. For some reason, it didn't bother me. I felt at ease wherever I was, almost as if it was impossible to feel anything else but peace.

Next to me was a long winding creek, with pink flowing waters, and big looming weeping willow trees. The waters seemed to glow, or sparkle, but when I stood to see them, I saw that the sparkles were simply the reflections of the stars in the sky.

Peering down at myself, I saw myself for the first time since arriving to... where I was. My wound was gone, like it had never been there. Replacing my mother's golden armor was a beautiful long gown. It was a light lime green dress with hints of mint green sheer cloth, and flower strands of lavender decorating my waist and up around the top of the dress. Left completely sheer and see through was my mid drift, but there were long light green puffy sleeves that kept my arms warm.

Stunned, I blinked a few times. This gown appeared to have been crafted from magic itself, the material lightweight and shimmering in the midnight light.

I closed my eyes, feeling another gush of air fly past me and through the leaves of the trees around me. There were sounds of unknown creatures hidden in the woods but I didn't exactly feel inclined to go searching for their origin. For the most part it sounded like birds singing, but there was a something different about their sounds, something new and supernatural.

Across the creek were dozens of lilies, roses, lavender, petunias, all kinds of flowers. Something about the way they danced in the wind, and how simply beautiful they were made me want to lie down in them. I pictured myself sleeping soundly for days, just breathing in their lovely scent. I leaned into the images so intently I questioned whether I truly did lie there for days, if it was a memory, or just my imagination.

Smiling, I breathed a heavy sigh. This world was light, even though the sky seemed to be painted permanently as late evening. The sunset skies were serene, and I couldn't help but feel relaxed. It was tranquil, like nothing bad could happen here There was no pain here, no death, no worries, nothing to think about, or do.

Then something turned in me. My wolf who had been silent, or perhaps I had stopped listening to her, began howling in protest. She was howling so loud I couldn't ignore her any longer. She was beyond frustrated with my naive mind. It was like she remembered something I didn't, or maybe she knew where we were. I wasn't sure until she spoke, that's when my stomach dropped.