Chapter Eight

~•~

Dante's POV

I had many moments of weakness in my life. I wasn't proud of it, but they were there. No matter how much I wished I could erase them, I simply couldn't. This had been my mindset for decades, yet the moment I saw Amabelle watching me with Gavina with mortified, sad eyes I wanted to be better.

In that moment I wanted to be more than just a man with mistakes and no control over them. I wanted to be someone Amabelle respected.

Then the moment passed when she ran away and I wondered if it was even possible. Could I truly change?

"So what? She saw us Dante. She was with Kamil today." Gavina finally interrupted my silence.

I turned from the fireplace and stared at her. Gavina still didn't understand. Sadly, she would never understand. She was in love with me, and I didn't do anything but add fuel to the fire. I wasn't infatuated with her like I was with Amabelle. In fact, even though it was hard to admit, I wished Amabelle was the one sitting in the chair, in love with me.

"I'm going to bed Gavina." I dismissed her comment without bothering to explain myself, and headed for the door.

Before I got very far, Gavina's hand clamped onto my wrist and pulled me around. She glared at me, the hurt and anger burning in her once gentle blue eyes. "What is it about her?"

"Amabelle doesn't beg for me, she's her own person and she fights for what's right. For what she believes in." I told Gavina, realizing those were all things that Gavina wasn't.

She let go of my arm, tears slowly trailing down her cheeks. What was worse was how little I cared. I hated myself for hurting her, and yet I did it anyway. Every time.

Turning away, I straightened my back. "She's headstrong, like me." I added, and kept walking.

The hallway felt longer somehow. It was the walk of shame that I trailed. I had been so angry with her, for even just being alone with Kamil. Everyone could see how in love he was with her, and it drove me mad to see them together today. I wouldn't have even saw it, had I not been on the balcony. Angry or not, I hadn't handled the situation well. I lashed out like I always did, and hurt her.

Amabelle's door was closed, however there was still light in the room. Swallowing my pride, I knocked on the door. Despite my anger, which had mostly dissolved into guilt, I needed to tell her that I was sorry. Hell, I wasn't even sure she would forgive me. How many times would I be able to come to her and plead for her to forgive my mistakes?

The full moons were growing fewer and fewer, and I didn't have much longer before I would forever be the beast inside me.

That was why I swallowed my pride.

Because at the end of the day, I needed Amabelle.

There was no response from Amabelle. Normally, if it were anyone else, I would just turn around and go back to my room, but since I was desperate and succumbed in guilt, I fumbled for the knob of the door. Whether or not it was locked, I was going in there.

Luckily for me, it was unlocked. However, a surprise was waiting for me inside. Amabelle, still dressed in her riding gear, was passed out in her bed. Her breathing was slow, but heavy as she was deep in sleep.

She looked beautiful, peaceful. Her wild locks of brown hair lay in a mess on her pillow and her plump, pale pink lips parted slightly as she breathed. Her lavender lily smell was all over this room, driving me mad.

Sighing, I blew out her candles and shut her blinds. I wouldn't wake her now. I would just wait until morning. She deserved some time away. Away from me.