Chapter Eighteen (PART TWO)

~•~

Amabelle's POV

I was in my closet, contemplating what to wear when Adonia visited me. I had been standing in that closet for too long, trying to decide on what to wear. Then, I heard two dainty little knocks on my door. Curious, I wandered to the door to see a glamorously dressed Adonia. She was dripping in sunlight, the gown she wore a beautiful bright orange and yellow of blended colors.

"Hello, Amabelle," She chirped, her voice melodically sweet.

"Hey," I replied, returning her warm smile.

Adonia gave a slight bow with a wink while I rolled my eyes. As many times as I told her I did not have to be treated like royalty, she continued to as such. Now I wondered if it was more teasing than anything.

"Have you decided on what you are wearing tonight?" Adonia's brown chocolatey eyes twinkled mysteriously.

Frowning, I sighed. "No, actually. I can't decide."

Adonia smirked, making me laugh. "What's that face for?"

She grinned further, skipping a little as she entered my room. "I have something in mind for you."

I smiled eagerly. "Oh yeah? Show me, because I am currently uninspired with my options."

"Follow me."

Still dressed in my silk robe with curlers in my hair, I did as Adonia directed. I followed her out of my room and through the castle. We went past Dante's room, the library, and up a coil of golden stairs, until we reached a room with a door so magnificent, I wondered what treasures awaited. The door was made of gold with blue, purple, green, and pink flowers and butterflies decorated on the outside. Intricately designed vines stretched across the paneling. The door sparkled like ancient magic enchanted the room beyond.

"What is this?" I murmured, tracing the outlines with my fingers.

Adonia's face was alight with excitement. "This room used to belong to Dante's betrothed-"

"What?!" The color drained from my face, and suddenly I thought I might vomit all over the floor.

Her eyes widened with panic. But her next words didn't comfort me. "He didn't marry her, she passed away in a very tragic accident, it was many, many years ago. And it was going to be an arranged marriage, he wasn't in love with her."

My wolf growled, she was burning beneath, a raging storm of fury. It was mostly jealousy, which may have been justified, but I still tried to push her down and retract the claws that had come out on accident.

I ground my teeth together and we sat in uncomfortable silence for a few moments while I considered this new information. Dante had never mentioned he was betrothed before, especially not early this morning when I confronted him about hiding things from me.

Though to be fair, I wasn't sure this was a secret he kept from me to hurt me, rather it being a fact of his history he hadn't told me yet. Part of me felt betrayed, but the other, more rational part of me realized Dante had a life before me, before this curse, and there were things I didn't know about him.

Still quietly seething that this is how I found out, I nodded my head finally. "Okay. Why are we going in here?"

Adonia smiled brightly, that contagious cheeriness returning to her delicate features. "I used to be Mira's maiden, so I saw to the responsibility of dressing her, and taking care of her during her stay here. And in that time, there was a gown that Dante gifted her. It would be absolutely perfect for tonight."

A small bout of fury erupted in my core at the thought of my mate gifting to another woman. My wolf was still unsettled, wanting to break out of my skin. Taking a deep breath, I smothered the flames with patience. There was nothing I could do to change that Dante had a history.